Honored Contributor

How much square footage to live comfortably

We've downsized from about a 1600 square foot house to 1100 sq. ft and will be moving again in the near future to less than 900. It's just me and DH. How big of a home would you need to live comfortably?

Honored Contributor

Re: How much square footage to live comfortably

I don't mind small, it would depend on the layout of the house. We've lived in as much as 3500. The more house, the more to clean, lol~!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

3,000 sq feet. That's what I have now. When we move to PA for retirement it will be way much smaller.

Esteemed Contributor

I went from 2000 to 1100 sq ft when I retired & I live just fine. I hated a large house because I hate housework and upkeep.

Respected Contributor

I've seen those "tiny homes" and sometimes I think that would be nice, as long as it overlooked an ocean or some other gorgeous scenery.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} But, having a new grandbaby, I try to imagine her looking forward to coming to my house and staying, and I don't think that would happen in a small place. I need room for guests, so I'll probably always at least be in a 2100 sf house.

Esteemed Contributor

People always seem to want to downsize when they get close to retirement. We are going to do just the opposite because our family is bigger with three grand children now. It will be a ranch and be about the same size but the extra space will be in a basement. Plus we need more function.
Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 BlingQueen022 said:

3,000 sq feet. That's what I have now. When we move to PA for retirement it will be way much smaller.

OK, how much smaller????

Valued Contributor

castlenv: On a forum for small homes on another site, Garden Web, they recommend 500 square feet per person. 900 seems close enough to me..... pinky

Honored Contributor

We went from an 1100 sq foot - but with a basement and attic for storage - to a 2200 sq ft all on one level when we moved to Florida. !550 sq ft under air and the rest is a nice large garage. I would not want to live in less than 1100 as that was rather small - even with just the 2 of us.

Honored Contributor

For a couple, I think 1400 sq. ft. would be comfortable. I think retirement is a great time to downsize and declutter as cleaning and maintenance become more difficult. Stairs can also be a challenge. People often realize this when it is too late.