Occasional Contributor

Dyson DC50 return or exchange

I owned a Dc14 for years with no problems at all, so when I needed a new vacuum there was no hesitation in getting another Dyson. My house is small with both high pile carpet and vinyl floors and have 2 cats. Problem is the new Dyson feels much more unreliable, not sure if that's just the way Dysons are now made or if it's because I bought the smallest. It gets very hot when using, called their customer service and at first they said it was blocked but when they walked me through everything and found no block, then now they say heating up is normal. I think there is a problem so it's going back. But I can't decide if I want to exchange it or just try a new vacuum. Have been looking at Shark powered rotator, cheapest would be to buy direct from Shark, but found out Shark is actually Ninja, so my confidence in this company drops considerably, only still considering because of feedback and comments about the vacuum. So two questions -- Are the new Dyson vacuums made to last like their older vacuums and does Shark stand behind their products better than Ninja stands behind theirs.
Super Contributor

Re: Dyson DC50 return or exchange

Colorow, I just bought a shark....have to say I am in love with it. It is lighter than my Dyson was, it s*cks better than my Dyson did...it is just an all around great vacuum for me anyway.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, I love my Shark. Not crazy about some of the attachments, but I do love that vacuum. I have the Rotator/Lift-Away. It cleans much better than my last Dyson. I do recommend getting the trolley for times when you are doing hand-vacuuming. Otherwise it will tip over.

In fact, I've had two Dysons. The first one was the "older" style. It cleaned great, but was very heavy. Also, contrary to the advertisements, it did clog. After I ended up replacing it, my husband decided to experiment and take it all apart. The "tunnels" were all clogged up with debris.

The second Dyson was the DC25 Ball. It was lighter and easier to maneuver. But, it didn't have enough power to vacuum the plush carpeting in my living room and dining room. It didn't even leave "tracks." It just vacuumed the surface. And, I lost track of how many times it went into the shop, under warranty. Something was always breaking.

When I got my Shark, and went over my carpeting, it was amazing.

Not sure how long the Shark will last. But, for the price, the Dyson's didn't last very long at all. Nothing lasts long anymore. Just had to replace my stove that was only 13 years old.....but that's another story, lol.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Occasional Contributor

Thank you both for responding. I returned the dyson today for a refund, I haven't ordered the Shark yet, still comparing prices, I'm still hesitant after finding out Shark and Ninja are the same company, I had a problem with my Ninja and just not eager to deal with the company again so soon. But in the end I did feel for the price the Dyson just wasnt worth $400,my list of things I wish was different on it was slightly longer than the things I really liked about. And I'm encouraged that the vacuums don't seem to have that much negative reviews. Thank you again for responding and telling me about your experience.
Trusted Contributor

Colorow, I've had one contact with Shark CS, and found them to be extremely helpful and pleasant. I ordered my Shark from QVC because it was the best price at the time, for the accessories that I wanted. However, I ordered it online and had never watched an entire presentation.

When my Shark came, it had a different piece than one that was shown online, and the piece online was the one I wanted. Instead of calling QVC, I called Shark and they sent me the piece that I wanted, completely free of charge.

I feel very comfortable with them.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"