Honored Contributor

Fixing up and older home or a brand new build? We have had 2 homes in the 32 years we have been married - each each was a new build. My first marriage we had an older home that we had to take out a huge loan on to rehab. Personally, once was enough with that for me. I would not do it again. People say old homes have character - i think a new home has the character you put in it. I love my newly built home.

Esteemed Contributor

We have moved 8 times, we built all of our homes. Nothing is better to me than the new home smell and design. We do not have the patience to remodel or update older homes.

Honored Contributor

I like new homes.

I'm not interested in small closets, small rooms, small windows, old ductwork, inadequate insulation.

I love watching what they do to some of those old homes, but I like new construction.

Honored Contributor

Everyone I have ever known who chose to "fix up" an old home ended up having to turn the smallest bedroom into a closet because old homes have no closet space, or storage space in general. Those old days people just did not have many belongings in comparison to now.

One friend who is currently rehabbing her parents home that she inherited joked that she doesn't need any closet space because she can no longer afford to buy clothes due to using all her money rehabbing this house.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/16/2015 happy housewife said:

Everyone I have ever known who chose to "fix up" an old home ended up having to turn the smallest bedroom into a closet because old homes have no closet space, or storage space in general. Those old days people just did not have many belongings in comparison to now.

One friend who is currently rehabbing her parents home that she inherited joked that she doesn't need any closet space because she can no longer afford to buy clothes due to using all her money rehabbing this house.

That isn't always true. Our first home was built in 1910 and every bedroom had walk-in closets with the master bedroom having two! All original to the home, I might add!

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on what you're looking for, what you enjoy and for me, how "old" the property is.

I look at the new construction taking place in my community and unless you are willing to go with new construction homes in the $500K range (and trust me, that is VERY high for this part of the country), the construction quality is just not there. Even with the new construction with starting prices in the $150K range, what you get at the starting price is really low end everything.

I bought a 1960s rancher. When this plat was built it was one of the "premier" sections, where all the higher ranking military and professionals like doctors and lawyers were buying. The plat has withstood the test of time, with the whole area still looking good and the solid brick homes still looking excellent. Don't have walk-in closets, but I do have full wall closets in 2 of the bedrooms. This home was most certainly in "livable" condition when I bought it, and I've taken my time over the past 12 years to save and do upgrades about every 2 years. This home is MINE, it reflects my personality, and I have the joy of top notch construction along with top of the line materials that I've been able to use as I've remodeled.

Esteemed Contributor

We've had both. Frankly the "new" (production) home wasn't built very well. We just bought a 25 year old home (not terribly old) that was one of three built by a single local builder, and it's amazing how plumb the walls are, and some of the subtle details that you don't find in my area, in new construction, unless, I guess, you are building a truly custom house. Yes, we have updated some of the systems - HVAC, plumbing here and there, but any of us who live in a house that long will have to eventually do that. Some of the "outdated" design fixtures, and wallpaper (yes, wallpaper), are what I find to be the most desirable things about the house. Everybody who comes here is captivated. It's been burnished and maintained and sits on a gorgeous lot in a neighborhood with NO HOA. Like no other. I like it that way. We have ample storage, and I very much like that the house itself is about 1940 ft2, with a large lot. I don't need a McMansion.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor
New! New! I grew up in a old colonial home and our first two homes were older homes. I live in MA, where OLD means 80, 90, 100 years. Yes, there is character and history but the repairs, upkeep, remodeling are constant and never ending. It never stops and you never stop shelling out money. I loved my former home, I loved my lilac bushes and the apple trees and myvbig wrap around porch. But we parted company when three years after we put the new roof on, the house needed the upstairs rewired. The girls were out of college on on their own, it was time for us to downsize. We bought a brand new condo, spanking new and while it seemed a bit sterile at first, I quickly grew to love everything about a bright, light, airy, modern home. My only regret is that we didnt buy bigger condo to accomodate the grandchild we'll have someday. So, we might make one more move before we retire. But it will be into a new home. I'll ever go old again....
Honored Contributor

We built one house 9 years ago. That's it for me, if we ever move it will be perfect going in.

Honored Contributor

I will never build a new home, can't afford the quality that I would want, and don't have the patience. If we ever buy another home it will be already built and probably not brand new, but not really old either, probably in the 20-25 year old range. I don't mind some minor remodeling, but nothing major, at this stage of my life.

"To each their own, in all things".