Honored Contributor

Need frig recommendations - not doing side by side again

So many choices & so many opinions! I would like a new French door frig (it's a need at this point) although I've heard mixed reviews how inefficient & small the freezer is. I haven't really started to look (just online reading reviews) -- it's just a matter of time before ours dies...it's constantly running loudly! I like the French door style or the freezer on bottom style but am concerned about freezer space as when I do cook I like to make extra to freeze or when I bake I always make extra dough, etc. I appreciate any input -thank you!
Honored Contributor

Re: Need frig recommendations - not doing side by side again

My daughter just bought a killer fridge. I think it is a Samsung, french door with center drawer. It is just so practical the way it is designed.

Samsung 36The top right compartment is sectioned off, and has great space, milk compartments and other handy features. It is so quiet too!

Honored Contributor

Oh 1 other thing is I don't have a large space is there a certain way to measure I see the one that came with the house says 26.2 cu feet but it's a side by side style. Shoe kitty: I love that frig but I don't think it will fit my space & I want white. My son has that frig too!
Contributor

I love my French Door fridge. It replaced my side by side and fits twice the amount. Plus I love the beverage door that opens without opening the big doors, comes in handy especially if you have kids in and out of it.

Honored Contributor

On 1/14/2015 homedecor1 said: Oh 1 other thing is I don't have a large space is there a certain way to measure I see the one that came with the house says 26.2 cu feet but it's a side by side style. Shoe kitty: I love that frig but I don't think it will fit my space & I want white. My son has that frig too!

26.2 is a large fridge. One thing I know. I have an older fridge, I think we bought it in 1998, maybe 1996. The old ones are way bigger. New fridges have a lower profile, and not as deep as the old dogs, like mine.

I like the other colors besides stainless as well. I have an ivory one now and love the color

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/14/2015 Shopping momma said:

I love my French Door fridge. It replaced my side by side and fits twice the amount. Plus I love the beverage door that opens without opening the big doors, comes in handy especially if you have kids in and out of it.

I really Do like THIS one particular refrigerator. If I can find THIS ONE and not settle for a 'stainless steel', it's will be a buy. I haven't read what brand it is, though.

However did see something close to it in a LG...don't have any great fondness for any LGs applicances but love the space.

I am shopping, now for a range...having a very difficult time finding one that does have weight to the door when I close it. .............Thought about a Bosch.

_Naes

Honored Contributor

My late aunt was very petite and always had to special order a refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom. We all (kids) thought it was so strange, but until the day my uncle died (a few years after my aunt) that was the only kind they ever had. They had a huge garden, and she used to freeze a lot. I was always amazed at how much she could fit in there! Right now, we have a side by side. When the time comes, I want a freezer-on- the- bottom style too. I'm not a stainless girl, so I hope they're available in white! Smile

Super Contributor

i have french door as well and love it. its awesome

Valued Contributor

I loved our kenmore elite bottom freezer with a single top door because the shelves were huge and didn't have a lot of nooks an crannies to trap crumbs; therefore, easier to clean. The only bad thing about it was a lot of cold air would escape when we opened the door. We sold our house, moved, and now have a bottom freezer with a french door top. It does not have solid shelves across, but I still love it. I keep the cold setting on 5 and everything in there is really, really cold. Even in the doors. It is a whirlpool because we didn't want to spend as much money because we will be moving again in a year and a half or so. I don't want to ever go back to side by side or top freezer. Ever, ever again. It's always easy to remember that you spend waaaayyy more time opening and closing the refrigerator than the freezer. I love being able to reach all areas of my refrigerator easily and having plenty of room to place leftovers or pre-prepared meals. Be sure to get the freezer door that is a drawer. They are more expensive, but so worth it.

Regular Contributor

I do like my french door .....I love the freezer a lot. One thing I don't like is the very bottom drawer and I noticed on the one pictured here also you have to open both doors...they should have made it 2 separate drawers. Also I've found things on the door don't seem to be as cold as they should so mayo etc I put towards the back.

Another thing we had to cut a cupboard above our side by side as it was tall and this french door we had to take the entire cupboard out.....and its wide.