Esteemed Contributor

Do any of you have an inexpensive toploading

washing machine with an agitator? I am in the market to buy a new set and I am ready to go back to the good old fashion way of washing clothes....wait for it.....with enough water to cover the clothes while washing and rinsing. Also, the idea of retaining rinse water to be used again totally grosses me out. I have had the front loader (it came with my house) and I am SO over that. The reviews for the top loading HE are horrendous! The new house we are moving into has the top load HE and we are donating them.

My question is, do any of you have a good old fashioned top loader with an agitator that you have purchased in say, the last 5 years? Do you like it?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do any of you have an inexpensive toploading

I have a high efficiency Sears Kenmore top loader that I got about 3 years ago. It cost around $350 at the time, NY State was giving rebates for high efficiency washers so I got $100 back from the state and Sears was offering free delivery and pickup. I love it. It determines how much water it needs so there is no setting for that. In addition it spins so well the clothes come out fairly dry and need half the time in the dryer. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, LULUBELLE, Does your washer have an agitator?

Trusted Contributor

I have an inexpensive top-loading GE washing machine (and dryer) that I bought from Home Depot 3 years ago when my husband and I had a new house built. We were spending so much money at the time buying everything we needed, we were just trying to be sensible about those items we felt we could cut corners with.

I'm perfectly happy with my machine, but then again, I don't even like a lot of bells and whistles when it comes to my basic appliances. Whenever I do get those extras, I find I don't even use them. My husband always feels they are just additional ways the item can break and cause trouble.

We are just a family of two, and our laundry isn't that tough in terms of dirt, so I do just fine with the simple machines. I think it was around $300.

Having said all that, I do think that everything these days is of less quality than a comparable product was years back. Everything seems so disposable. I'm hoping my machines hold up a reasonable amount of time.

Frequent Contributor

tends2dogs, it has an agitator, but not like the old fashioned one I'm sure you're thinking about. It isn't anywhere near as high as the old ones were. It's kind of a hump shape in the bottom and middle of the machine and may be 2-3 inches high. Hope that helps - like I said, it does a great job and clothes don't get stuck under the agitator like they did in the old one - lol!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/14/2015 blueroses47 said:

I have an inexpensive top-loading GE washing machine (and dryer) that I bought from Home Depot 3 years ago when my husband and I had a new house built. We were spending so much money at the time buying everything we needed, we were just trying to be sensible about those items we felt we could cut corners with.

I'm perfectly happy with my machine, but then again, I don't even like a lot of bells and whistles when it comes to my basic appliances. Whenever I do get those extras, I find I don't even use them. My husband always feels they are just additional ways the item can break and cause trouble.

We are just a family of two, and our laundry isn't that tough in terms of dirt, so I do just fine with the simple machines. I think it was around $300.

Having said all that, I do think that everything these days is of less quality than a comparable product was years back. Everything seems so disposable. I'm hoping my machines hold up a reasonable amount of time.

This sounds like the set I am looking at, only at Lowes. Simple, yet does the job. There are also just two of us and I think these just may be the ones for us.

Thanks for you response.

LuluBelle,

Thanks for answering my question. I may take a look at Sears before purchasing. I have a 10% coupon for Lowes that I would love to use, but hopefully, these are something I will have for a long time LOL and so don't want to purchase solely on price.

Regular Contributor

I just bought a speed queen. If has a full agitator, you can set water levels etc. I think the government is getting ready to again poke their noses into appliances and further ruin them (or maybe it is just hot water heaters this time) so you may wish to purchase soon.
Frequent Contributor

Good luck, tends. Buying appliances is so not glamorous, but a necessity! And I agree with blueroses, I'm not one for bells and whistles either - seems to me the more they have the more likely the repair man will be visiting.

Honored Contributor

When I moved to Texas in 1999, my parents bought me a refurbished Kenmore washer and dryer set at a used appliance store. I'm still using it. *knock wood* It has no digital anything, just old dials. It doesn't do anything fancy, but it gets my clothes clean and rarely has issues.

You might want to see if you have any used appliance place near you.

Respected Contributor

I have a Hotpoint washer (made by GE) that is exactly as you describe: top load with a real agitator, 3 cycles, basic. It works great, the water level is set by you, you can open it and readjust or add something, it gets the clothes clean. There is an extra rinse cycle too if you choose it.

I have allergies and like to wash things with HOT water and this one doesn't dumb down the hot water coming to it by adding cold. It washes it in all hot water, perfect, and has a cold rinse for all the cycles.

My only complaint is there is no true delicate cycle - the knit/perma press cycle is simply fast agitation and periods of no agitation with a cool down mode, so it works, but I miss my old whirlpool that had a lovely gentle swishing of the agitator and it had a handwash cycle that was great.

This washer was not high end expensive but has served me well now for 3 years with no issues at all.

Check out Speed Queen too; they are excellent quality.