Honored Contributor

Who here uses cloth napkins on a daily basis?

A number of years ago, I was reading where a lot of women were using cloth napkins at each meal, rather than buy paper ones, and mostly is was for environmental reasons.

I had some cloth napkins but had only used them for more formal dinners. I got to thinking, it would, in the long run be cheaper, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I found the best and cheapest source. Thrift stores. They get so many sets of brand new cloth napkins donated. People must buy them or receive them as gifts, and not use them. I have found countless sets, at least 4 matching, and often between 6 and 12 in the same colors. There is also a huge variety of colors, solids and patterns. You can't beat the cost either, as I usually pay only about a quarter per piece.

I have quite a few different sets of dishes, so I need a number of different colors, but have been able to acquire enough cloth napkins to keep us going. I bought my last pack of paper napkins about a year ago, but have just never opened them. I would still use them for a big casual get together or whatever, but I find the cloth just get tossed in the regular wash and we keep reusing.

An added benefit is that now when I set the table for each meal, the napkins match the dishes and serveware. No more stark white napkins that look out of place, or crazy designs that don't match anything.

Anyone else using cloth on a regular basis?

Honored Contributor

Re: Who here uses cloth napkins on a daily basis?

I've stopped buying paper napkins about 2 years ago. Decided it was a waste of money. Only two of us in my household but that still wouldn't matter to me. I have to do laundry, cloth napkins go right in too. I have a friend who has used cloth napkins for YEARS. I guess I got this from her. I do not miss paper napkins for anything. Meals were the only time we used them. Now I love to use them and to find great pretty cheap ones out there works for me!

Esteemed Contributor

I use cloth napkins. Always have. Paper ones are nasty, like using paper towels. If you have extra it works out fine to wait on washing the tablecloth.

Honored Contributor

I do - and since very often I eat alone, I can buy one cloth napkin or 2 or 4. I also shop thrifts (going for a trolley tour of a whole series of them this week!) and bring home odds and ends or I treat myself to a pattern I like elsewhere even if the napkin is a bit more costly. Not a terrible waste and no calories!

Trusted Contributor

I grew up in France, and we used cloth napkins, we had to keep ours for the week, we had a napkin ring, so we knew our napkins.. I don't miss that at all. I do use cloth napkins when I have a dinner party, but not on a daily basis.

Honored Contributor

I don't use cloth napkins.

I don't use paper plates though.

Trusted Contributor

No, cloth napkins are special occasion only.

We use paper towels ... or a .. dish towel. LOL {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

No, cloth napkins are special occasions here.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

No. Thinking about it makes me laugh. I don't know a single person who uses cloth napkins daily, I'm 54 and in my entire life, I've never known anyone to do that. We use paper napkins and if I run out, we use a folded paper towel. I'll be perfectly honest. I'm a busy career woman with hectic schedule....sometimes we do use paper plates and plastic cups.

Respected Contributor

We only use cloth napkins for special occasions.

Paper napkins are cheap and are not a threat to the landfill as they disintegrate very rapidly.