Trusted Contributor

Has anyone used Empire Today for flooring installation? If so, what was your experience with regards to price?

I am looking at laminate. HD has a good deal on installation right now and would like a comparison.

Respected Contributor

My step mom had them come in. Disaster! They ended up adding charges for every little thing and the end result was awful. Check around your area and find someone with an A+ rating with the BBB and ask for references. Make sure they are a flooring only company. This is a big purchase and you don't want to deal with some fly-by-night outfit.

Honored Contributor

I've never used them and probably won't simply because of all the fine print they flash on screen with their endless commercials. Any company that uses that much fine print is trying to hide something.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the responses!

I looked at their website and all they show are small color samples but do not show the exact flooring they offer. For example, Shaw Light Oak for $3.00 a sq.ft.

I am also going to check out Lumber Liquidators.

Trusted Contributor

Live in Southern Ca. They wanted over $1000 to carpet a 13 x 14 bedroom with low to average carpet quality and little color selection. Shiesters (sp).

Trusted Contributor
They are like snake oil salesmen. They come to your house, which is convenient, but then try to "upsell" you at every turn. The carpet they advertise on TV for their "special" deals is industrial grade and nasty. The color selection is minimal, well they "forgot" to bring that other board and can come again if you'd like. No thank you, don't waste your time. Carpet is tricky. HD is a good bet, and they will make it right (with some arm twisting) if something goes wrong. Buy nylon, it is more durable. We purchased a polyester carpet from HD that initially was soft and cushy, but was awful, it showed wear a few months after installing it. After several months and persistence, they agreed to credit us on new carpet, and found out they had since discontinued what we bought because of many complaints like ours. The nylon has less of a selection, and is a bit more pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for! So that's my experience with carpet, I know you are looking at flooring, just would stay away from Empire for anything!
Trusted Contributor
On 1/9/2015 flickerbulb said:

Thanks for the responses!

I looked at their website and all they show are small color samples but do not show the exact flooring they offer. For example, Shaw Light Oak for $3.00 a sq.ft.

I am also going to check out Lumber Liquidators.

For what it's worth, my friend used Lumber Liquidators and they don't recommend them at all. Every box had all kinds of defective boards in them and they wouldn't make it good. In the end, they had to buy way more than they needed to get enough 'good' boards to finish their home.

Trusted Contributor

Ugh! Looks like I will NOT be calling this company! Thanks for the input!

Nothing like trying to jack up the price on a large purchase. Adding in additional charges when they quote you a price is dishonest.

I guess they have to pay for all of those catchy commercials!

Trusted Contributor

I used a local flooring company for some other floors and they were good. I might check them out again.

I guess Lumber Liquidators sells seconds and that is why they price is cheap.

Contributor
We used them, and as stated above they try to upsell, and they charge a separate charge for everything. Another thing I didn't care for, was they had to be paid before they would even start the job, so if you had any gripe with them, basically you had no leverage 'cause they already got their $$$. Would not use them again.