Regular Contributor

Why Does Everyone Love Tile?

OK, time to update my kitchen and bath after 40 years. I have always found grout unsanitary and difficult to clean. Both floors have sheet vinyl flooring--not 40 years old, though. Replaced once for fashion. Anyway, it's so easy to clean, and very easy to sanitize. Steam or even bleach as necessary. I know that I am old-fashioned, but need easier cleaning as I get older. What's your experience been? TIA.Smile

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why Does Everyone Love Tile?

Get what you works for you and don't be concerned about what others might want. If you are concerned about future resale value, the fact is, no matter what you get, you can't predict what potential future buyers want.

Honored Contributor

I agree with Scotnovel. Get what you want to live with. I personally do not like tile--it's cold, hard and has grout--but then I don't like granite either. I had vinyl tiles that we installed ourselves in our house in NJ and that was the best flooring I ever had. We now have laminate in the kitchen which I like but in the future I think I would get slate or bamboo.

Valued Contributor

I can't find one good reason to have tile. It is cold, a fall on it can be deadly, and usually the tiles crack, especially if the subfloor is not able to handle the additional weight. My neighbor just got tile and it is beautiful. However, she already hates it. I have oak flooring and I have fallen, but I have been able to get back up. If you drop something on the tile, either it breaks or the tile breaks. My best friend and sister both had tile put down to replace a vinyl, and it cracked with the floor flexing.

Valued Contributor

Absolutely, hate tile -- so difficult, if not impossible, to keep the grout clean. Even a slight stain can be so difficult to remove. I had a glaze applied over the new tile before I moved in that was suppose to protect the grout against stains -- no help! As someone else mentioned, the tile is so cold. My kitties hate it too! Never again! . I prefer hardwood floors that are attractive and easy to clean. Nothing special about tile!
Respected Contributor

I don't know why people love tile. I think it's because it's the "in" thing status symbol. Just like stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops. Some people just think they have to them. Tile floors were put in the house we bought and honestly I think they're a pain. They are freezing cold to walk on, they didn't seal the grout and they're a pain to keep clean. With 4 dogs going in and out all day long the grout gets dirty and stays dirty. There is some beautiful vinyl out there, so if you love it go for it. I don't worry much about resale. When we sold our home they got what they got. Tough beans. It still sold just fine.

Honored Contributor

We have an outhouse and we bathe in the stream so no need to clean.

Trusted Contributor

Funny Brew..we actually do have an outhouse,a 2 seater with upper windows and a skylight.It has laminate flooring. I am not a tile person either
Esteemed Contributor

Another tile hater here.

The marble tile in my bath has very thin grout lines. Not so bad. I keep a throw rug covering most of the tile floor in my hall bath. For the kitchen, I chose a laminate that looks very much like ceramic tile. Warm, soft, and nothing stains the faux grout lines. Candace Olson has used this product on her TV remodels. The floor installs with simple tongue and groove application. You can walk on it immediately following installation.

I have tumbled marble tile on my entry, bath, laundry and family rooms, all on the ground floor of my split level home. I try to cover as much as possible with rugs. The rest of the house is hardwood, thank goodness.

Super Contributor

The bottom line IMO is that you should have the type flooring that you like........make yourself happy...........don't be concerned about anything else.......