Respected Contributor

painting a cement floor: where can I look for ideas?

We have a weekend home on the water in Florida that we plan on retiring to. It's a stilt home but was facing serious issues because of moisture issues. We were not required to have break away walls, but we were required to put in vents which allow water to flow and exit. This is not incurable space, but we want to make it "recreational" and functional. We could install tile, but there are going to issues with leveling. It really wouldn't be that expensive, but I have seen some really creative things you can do with concrete or cement when it comes to painting. Are there any "crafty" or decorating sites around? Thanks, Poodlepet2
Respected Contributor

Re: painting a cement floor: where can I look for ideas?

Pinterest and HGTV have tons of ideas - good luck!

Valued Contributor

I love stained concrete.

Contributor

Whatever you decide to do make sure you prep the floor properly. If not you will have a disaster like I did. I painted concrete and will never do it again, I will just call a professional who works with concrete and knows it better than I do. I understand stain works better. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Stained and stamped concrete is awesome! Just google!

Honored Contributor

Check some local web sites for home stuff. Lowe's, Home Depot, or even paint companies and see what they have or offer.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all so much! We will start looking at these sites. OkeyDokey, is there a particular style of stained concrete you fell in love with? We will be working with a pro on this, and he has done work that we have seen all over town.. I think it will be great: we just have to pull it all together. Thanks once again, Poodlepet2
Trusted Contributor

On 1/6/2015 FastDogWalker2 said:

Pinterest and HGTV have tons of ideas - good luck!

I second these two suggestions...Or just google it. The internet has everything you need to know about and DIY project and tons of images.

Let us know how it turns out. I'll bet it's beautiful!

Valued Contributor

We have a below ground level basement with a cement floor and moisture is a concern but not a huge one. Several years ago we painted the floor with a paint recommended for cement and moisture issues. Within a few months the paint started peeling and we eventually tiled over the living area of the basement. We talked to a rep at the paint store (different person than the one who originally said it would be ok) and he said that not installing a moisture barrier was probably the reason the paint peeled. So don't rely on Pinterest or the DIY's. Check with a professional contractor.