Valued Contributor

Need Recliner Recommendations

I think I'm going to have to retire the Lazy Boy recliner/rocker that I've had for over 20 years and need a recommendation for a replacement. I would ordinarily purchase another Lazy Boy; however, the last two purchases that I've made from them have been a disappointment. I think that Lazy Boy, like so many other manufacturers, have lessened their standards while increasing their prices and I'm not sure I want to purchase another piece of furniture from them. Anyone purchase a recliner recently and have a good recommendation, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking for a standard "lady" size recliner preferably fabric and not leather.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need Recliner Recommendations

I went shopping for a power recliner just last month. Lazy Boy has several recliners in different price points and quality. I found a leather one that I really liked and it was around $850. The salesman, however, showed me that a Flexsteel is made better and has a really good warranty. It just didn't fit me as well as the Lazy Girl. I strongly advise that you sit in each one and try them on for fit. Your head needs to be in the right place in the chair or your neck will bother you. The arms need to be the right height or else your shoulders will bother you when you boost yourself out of the chair. Since I am tall, I need the seat longer to fit my legs. I don't like the chairs that you have to push down the leg rest because it hurts my back. There are tons of options out there. your sales person should be able to steer you to the quality chairs.

Valued Contributor

Recently bought the Harrison Leather Recliner from Macy's. Love it! They also make it in fabric. So comfy. It isn't motorized and doesn't rock or swivel, which we didn't want by some do. We love the beauty of the mission style wood frame and the chair itself supports the back and neck perfectly when seated upright or when reclining. I had never bought furniture through Macy's before, but after seeing and testing out several pieces at friends' houses, I realized they were excellent quality.

Respected Contributor

The last time I bought a Lazy Boy, I insisted on the original mechanism that rachets into place. Most of their chairs now have the push back mechanism. I can't have the push back style because my heavy cat will fall off the end of the chair when I have it reclined. I still swear by the original style Lazy Boy that fits me fine.
Honored Contributor

While he got the overstuffed leather, lazy boy recliner, I went to the cloth-covered rocker recliner that also swivels. I don't put my feet up, so I didn't want a recliner. I do like what I have and he likes his. Good luck. Both from LaZBoy.

Respected Contributor

I think there is a Recliner TSV coming up in January.

Can someone post a link? I didn't get my Q Insider magazine email......YET AGAIN! But a friend told me about it.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

My husband recently went through this. He is tall (6'5") and wanted a comfortable recliner where his feet wouldn't touch the floor when he was sitting straight up in it. He doesn't buy anything until he checks reviews and he always checks the "bad" ones first. He figures the good ones are only good because they haven't gotten to the "bad" features on the item yet. So far, it works for him.

Anyway, he found this site (Wayfair) and found the "perfect" oversized recliner. They showed a camel colored leather recliner for $699. He bought it. When it arrived, we saw that it wasn't leather BUT he loved the chair. It was perfect for him. He went back to the reviews and saw a few that mentioned that they also didn't get leather, but loved the chair and kept it anyway.

I thought I would give them a call and find out what the deal was. I told them we loved the chair but it isn't leather (or maybe it was some kind of leather we never saw before?) They couldn't apologize enough and said they would either come and pick up the chair OR give him a $200 discount. He said that sounded fair to him - he loves the chair. There is also a Lifetime Warranty no matter what the problem.

So, we have the chair for $499 and they adjusted their site just as they said they would. Based on that experience, we would not hesitate to buy anything from Wayfair. His credit card was adjusted within 2 hours of my phone call.... BTW, they sell a lot of different things. Go to their site and maybe you'll find something that suits you..... HTH and Good Luck and Happy New Year.Smile

Contributor

On 12/31/2014 Scooby Doo said:

I went shopping for a power recliner just last month. Lazy Boy has several recliners in different price points and quality. I found a leather one that I really liked and it was around $850. The salesman, however, showed me that a Flexsteel is made better and has a really good warranty. It just didn't fit me as well as the Lazy Girl. I strongly advise that you sit in each one and try them on for fit. Your head needs to be in the right place in the chair or your neck will bother you. The arms need to be the right height or else your shoulders will bother you when you boost yourself out of the chair. Since I am tall, I need the seat longer to fit my legs. I don't like the chairs that you have to push down the leg rest because it hurts my back. There are tons of options out there. your sales person should be able to steer you to the quality chairs.

Totally agree...also made in America...Dayton, Tennessee. We recently decided on the power leather recliner from LB. Went back and forth with the Flexsteel, but it bothered my husband's back after sitting awhile; he is tall and it would not work. We also opted for the memory foam extra option. Just ordered the matching sofa.

Honored Contributor

We bought two LazyBoy rocker recliners a couple of years ago and we love them, use them every day. When our son was preparing to move into his own apartment this past spring/summer, he went furniture shopping for a few things. We were giving him a sofa, but he wanted a chair just like ours. He tried out several at the furniture showroom and wasn't happy with any of them until he got to the one that's like ours, only a different fabric. It has a bar/lever on the side that lifts the foot rest. You have to use it to release the foot rest, too.

Contributor

On 12/31/2014 sophiamarie said:

My husband recently went through this. He is tall (6'5") and wanted a comfortable recliner where his feet wouldn't touch the floor when he was sitting straight up in it. He doesn't buy anything until he checks reviews and he always checks the "bad" ones first. He figures the good ones are only good because they haven't gotten to the "bad" features on the item yet. So far, it works for him.

Anyway, he found this site (Wayfair) and found the "perfect" oversized recliner. They showed a camel colored leather recliner for $699. He bought it. When it arrived, we saw that it wasn't leather BUT he loved the chair. It was perfect for him. He went back to the reviews and saw a few that mentioned that they also didn't get leather, but loved the chair and kept it anyway.

I thought I would give them a call and find out what the deal was. I told them we loved the chair but it isn't leather (or maybe it was some kind of leather we never saw before?) They couldn't apologize enough and said they would either come and pick up the chair OR give him a $200 discount. He said that sounded fair to him - he loves the chair. There is also a Lifetime Warranty no matter what the problem.

So, we have the chair for $499 and they adjusted their site just as they said they would. Based on that experience, we would not hesitate to buy anything from Wayfair. His credit card was adjusted within 2 hours of my phone call.... BTW, they sell a lot of different things. Go to their site and maybe you'll find something that suits you..... HTH and Good Luck and Happy New Year.Smile

Hello...Love the story...I would like to purchase one for my son who is 6'4"... Could you please tell me which recliner your husband purchased?...Thank you kindly...