Honored Contributor

I spent quite a bit of time today cleaning the bathroom and scrubbing the tub. I used the scrubbing bubbles type cleaner. I have used it and liked it in the past. But today the tub does not look any cleaner even after scrubbing it quite a bit. Disappointed with the results and with company coming, I am going to try something else.

Any recommendations? What works well for you?

Valued Contributor

Me, too! I have a fiberglass tub and surround and it's clean, but doesn't look like it. Any advice on products to try would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

I use Tilex scum to clean the tub. I also use a kitchen scrubber....not sure what to call it but it's non-scratching and flat about 4x5.

Honored Contributor
I'm not loyal to any brand. What works for me is a motorized brush. I have two different kinds of rechargeable brushes. One is a black and Decker hand held brush with different heads from Wal-Mart. The other is a quickie brush stick from the q. I don't think they have them anymore. I wet the shower down, spray on some cleaner and let it sit for about five minutes before scrubbing. I let the machine do the work. The shower is fiberglass with a glass door. It comes out sparkly clean. I hate cleaning the shower, so the tools make it bearable.
Trusted Contributor

I like using KABOOM...

Jessa
Trusted Contributor
I have an old tub that's very porous and difficult to clean. I usually stop the drain, pour a gallon of bleach in then fill it with hot water and let it sit overnight with the window open for ventilation. The next morning I drain it and finish it off with magic erasers. It works perfectly.
Regular Contributor

This house was my first experience with fiberglass shower and surrounds. I had ceramic tile in the old house. I cleaned it thoroughly with the scrubbing bubbles and thought it didn't look any cleaner. I could tell it wasn't slippery and the water droplets stuck to the walls. Took me many hours with CLR and my Black and Decker Scum Buster to work through the layers of hard water build up on the walls. After I got it all off, the water sheeted down the walls, felt slick when dry and reflected light. I started using the CLR spray bathroom cleaner for regular cleaning and for the most part that keeps it clear of the hard water build up. The shelf that the shower head drips onto still builds up a little bit in a week's time and I have to let the cleaner sit on that part for a little while and then scrub. If you rub your hand down the wall and it make a sandpapery sound then you have hard water build up.

Trusted Contributor
PeterDM: is yours a cast iron tub?
Respected Contributor

Is it a cast iron tub with the non-slip bottom that doesn't seem clean?

Trusted Contributor
On 12/20/2014 Irish1210 said: PeterDM: is yours a cast iron tub?
Yes, I think so.