Honored Contributor

Is your home most always "guest ready"?

On any average given day, do you consider your house to be 'guest ready'?

In other words, could someone ring the doorbell, and you answer to find unexpected guests, and be comfortable with the level of order and cleanliness in your home?

Of course we all have those days, where we are in the middle of things that make the house a mess, but on any average day, I keep my main living areas orderly enough to welcome unexpected visitors. Some of the more remote regions, might not qualify (like the basement or laundry room) but I start out each morning making sure all beds are made, bathrooms cleaned, floors swept and kitchen cleaned up. Everything is picked up and put away, and I try to have this done before 9 am.

How is it at your house? Are you guest ready, or could use maybe a half hour's notice to tidy up?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is your home most always ""guest ready""?

They might not be comfortable with the mess, but I am.

Honored Contributor

It's usually guest ready. Decluttering a couple years ago makes it fairly easy to keep things in order.
Honored Contributor

Clean, yes. Place to sit and chat and have coffee, yes. Ready for picture-taking for House and Garden, no.

Respected Contributor

Since there are only two of us and our pup there's rarely anything "messed up? So visitors will usually find most areas of our home guest ready. They might find a few papers lying about in our individual offices if we're working on something, but the living room, kitchen, den, guest room, etc. are always clean and guest friendly.

Now when it comes two food, that's another story. But we have some great restaurants nearby and we'll usually offer to take them out.

Honored Contributor

Probably not. Well, I would say that I am probably what's not guest-ready at all times because I wear my 'dog hair' clothes around the house.

But if I'm expecting somebody I put on regular clothes before the time when they are expected.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, but the kitchen would have to be picked up a little! We really live in that room!

Super Contributor

My home is for me and my family, not guests. It is kept neat and clean for us...not guests.
Respected Contributor

Pretty much. I keep clutter to a minimum. Remembering the days back north in our old home when we were tearing out walls and such. Cringed whenever someone showed up.

Regular Contributor

I'm out of the house by 7:15 each morning, so it is what it is. The house isn't dirty, but it does get cluttered. DH is home and anyone who might stop by is usually from his side of the family, so I don't worry about it much. We don't claim to live in a castle.