Honored Contributor

Our next door neighbors had to sell their home here due to illness. The new people are very nice but have a very yappy dog. VERY YAPPY! Whenever he sees anyone go by the house yap, yap, yap. Now they have built an extended lanai on the back and side and they leave him out there all day where he never shuts up. There are always people going by - traffic to & from the hospital - ambulances and each one starts him into a tirade of barking.

So this morning I asked the wife if she would mind not putting him out on the lanai all day as the barking is very disturbing. She answered that she built the lanai specifically for the dog . As much as I hate to write to the HOA I don't see any other recourse if she isn't cooperative about not putting him inside. I don't think he has shut up for 3 min in a row since he woke me up barking right next to my bedroom window at 7AM.

Clearly - his barking in the house must bother them and that is why they want to put him outside, so why wouldn't they think it would disturb others? I hate it when people put me in a position like this of needing to report them. Certainly if anyone would have asked me to keep my dog quiet I would have at least made some effort.

Esteemed Contributor

Not so happy housewife: LOL A neighbor 2 doors down got their first dog - a Jack Russell - and he yaps away at nothing or if anybody is in their backyard. I'm sure my neighbor right next door to this pup isn't too happy either - especially when he starts gardening again in the Spring.

For your severe problem - call your town/village Code Enforcement Officer or your HOA - you have a right to live in peace whether it's a dog - kids - or party people. Nip it in the bud now.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you are dealing with this. It is a very common problem. Yappy for a few minutes is tolerable. But all day is totally unacceptable. Are they home and in the house while the dog is outside all day or are they both at work? Either way, if it is not resolved, I would talk to the HOA or even register a complaint with the police if I had to. Dogs can be trained not to bark.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

That would upset me tremendously.

Don't they hear it too? Are they home and the dog is outside?

I would complain to high heaven until something gets done...

Respected Contributor

I would add that if the authorities don't help, there is some kind of soundless device that irritates dogs when they bark. I think it would work the distance from your yard to the dog. I think I saw it in Dr. Foster's or In the Company of Dogs catalog. Has anyone else heard of this? Or even better used it?

Respected Contributor

Yup, it exists. I just Googled something called the Dog Silencer that works up to 300 ft. on neighbor dogs ($90). I would be passive-aggressive and try this first--not telling the neighbor--before I went bat---- crazy. And I WOULD go bat---- crazy under these conditions.

Super Contributor
Sorry, HH. That is an awful situation, and it's unfortunate that the new neighbor is unwilling to do the right thing. As a dog lover, I also feel bad for the dog being stuck outside all day. When my dog is outside, the minute I hear her bark, I bring her in. It's going to be awkward getting off on the wrong foot with Ms Newneighbor, but I don't see what choice you have. I think I would start with the HOA before calling the police. Good luck.
Super Contributor
On 12/19/2014 KarenQVC said:

I would add that if the authorities don't help, there is some kind of soundless device that irritates dogs when they bark. I think it would work the distance from your yard to the dog. I think I saw it in Dr. Foster's or In the Company of Dogs catalog. Has anyone else heard of this? Or even better used it?

"The Dog Silencer (TM)", about $90.

I haven't tried it. I'm tempted though. Our neighbor recently built a run for his two previously indoor dogs, and he goes away for days at a time (his girlfriend and parents come to feed them when he's away).

Honored Contributor
On 12/19/2014 KarenQVC said:

Yup, it exists. I just Googled something called the Dog Silencer that works up to 300 ft. on neighbor dogs ($90). I would be passive-aggressive and try this first--not telling the neighbor--before I went bat---- crazy. And I WOULD go bat---- crazy under these conditions.

You would buy some device to irritate a dog? BEFORE you even attempted to talk to their owner?

Honored Contributor

Apparently your neighbors don't have the ability or interest in training their dog. How sad for the doggie.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras