Trusted Contributor

Rug shedding any suggestions?

I ordered the last Royal Palace TSV Rug and it has been shedding so badly. And, because it is the garnet color it really shows up. I vacuum it all the time hoping that it will shed less but it seems to be getting worse if that is possible. I have about 5 other Royal Palace rugs that I love but have never had this problem before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have even thought about returning it but have never returned a rug before and I don't know how I would go about it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Rug shedding any suggestions?

They really do shed, don't they... I was once told by a neighbor who had a carpet shop that shedding was the mark of a good rug, but I personally have no idea if that's true... Both my mother and I bought Royal Palace rugs, her about four years ago, and mine bought last year, and my gosh do they shed. Mine are dark, so it's beyond annoying, since if I don't vacuum very regularly the 'lint' gets everywhere and is very messy. If it's any consolation, she says that hers rarely shed anymore... As for returning them, I assume you could still use the prepaid label and simply have one of the delivery services pick them up, but re-wrapping them would be a real challenge...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I have a few of the small Royal Palace runs. The three upstairs are still shedding after a couple of years, but since they are a light green, it's not that noticeable….except when I vacuum and it almost fills the canister! I have one downstairs that's a darker green that is a bit older and doesn't be shedding much at all these days.

I also have a smaller Karastan rug and it has never shed. But I have to say that I prefer the quality of the Royal Palace rugs to my Karastan.

Honored Contributor

I've had several Royal Palace rugs (love them) but they DO shed, and mine shed for years, up to the day I gave them up (we moved). But boy they are gorgeous. My son has one of them (8 x 11 in Navy with the Scroll design purchased in the 90's) and it still is gorgeous (sun faded it slightly on one side) and still sheds!

I'd have another one in our new house but we have Miller Moths out here so bad they look like small airplanes and will severely damage anything natural (like wool, cotton, etc.).... so we bought a synthetic rug and foiled the little biters... Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

They are beautiful rugs and I've had mine for over 13 years and they still shed.

Respected Contributor

I've got 2 fairly large Karastan area 100% wool rugs that have never shed. I've had them now for 15 years and they're as gorgeous today as the day I bought them. I've seen those Royal Palace rugs and agree that they're lovely, but I wouldn't be happy with all the shedding.

Honored Contributor

I had a couple royal palace rugs over the years and had little shedding. I might try shampooing it. I used my bissel on my rugs and they came out great. I sent one back. It was a big rug. I put it back in the roll or bag it came in and taped it up. I took it to the UPS depot. I remember it being really heavy. Today I'd probably pursue ups picking it up.
Super Contributor

I have a royal palace runner in my hallway that's over a decade old. Looks fantastic but it's shedding the same now as it did new. I often wonder why it's not threadbare from the shedding, lol.
Honored Contributor

Any kind of wool carpeting sheds.......forever

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have one in my DR that has survived 2 disasterous floods, was professionally cleaned, and STILL sheds, but the nap is as lofty and beautiful as when it was new, so I don't worry about it anymore. It's about 14 years old.