Regular Contributor

What we let our pets get away with

Good morning everyone. OK, most of you know that I have 3 spoiled pugs that are into everything. I have to pug proof the house, especially at Christmas time. Well, yesterday, when dusting the top shelf of my entertainment center, I laid down my 18" high frosty the snowman and Scarlett the wild child pug got it and ran out the doggie door and by the time I managed to rescue frosty, Scarlett had ripped the head off. This frosty is made out of styrofoam and my DH had to reassembly the body using 3" screws and lots and lots of super glue. He asked me what am I going to do to Scarlett. What could I do; time out does not work, nothing works. So, what do your pets get away with.

Valued Contributor

Re: What we let our pets get away with

Sorry, but your story made me laugh. I can picture Scarlett running off with Frosty!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I am a dog lover and would rescue/have tons of them if I could.

Respected Contributor

I could write a book. It's not that I let my cat, Whisky, get away with bad behavior. He's a cat and he acts like a cat. His mischief is part of the the whole package. The thing that irks me the most is that he doesn't want anything sitting on my dresser. And it's not because he hops up there, he only gets on my dresser when there is something on it. And then, whatever it is, he takes his huge paw and knocks it to the floor. Sometimes, my husband puts something on the dresser just to watch Whisky knock it off. He also doesn't like it when I hang hand towels in the guest bathroom. He's perfectly fine with towels in the main bathroom but not in the guest bath. He goes in and yanks them down. It's not "bad" behavior per se, but he will only eat wet cat food when it's on a paper plate. Over the years, we've bought him some really nice pet bowls but refuses to even touch his wet food if it isn't on a paper plate. And then there is my cell phone. When it rings, it flashes the caller's picture and plays music and he absolutely loves that. He watches tv, I think he thinks it's a little tiny tv. My phone rings and he dashes to it like a speed demon....and knocks it to the floor so he can look at it. Sometimes he even whacks me when I take it from him.

Valued Contributor

Mine get away with a whole lot more than that!

Oh well............I love them!

Valued Contributor

Great story, Chrystaltree. Our terrier mix watches TV. She barks at the dogs, cats, horses, all animals and even the donkey on Shrek. We can't watch the Westminister dog show any more. It is not worth it!

Esteemed Contributor

My cat just sleeps all day,, but I love him. When he wakes up, he wants out. My dog looks out the window, unless she goes in car with me. She is a rescue and was well trained. She is spoiled now, but very calm.
Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 Chrystaltree said:

I could write a book. It's not that I let my cat, Whisky, get away with bad behavior. He's a cat and he acts like a cat. His mischief is part of the the whole package. The thing that irks me the most is that he doesn't want anything sitting on my dresser. And it's not because he hops up there, he only gets on my dresser when there is something on it. And then, whatever it is, he takes his huge paw and knocks it to the floor. Sometimes, my husband puts something on the dresser just to watch Whisky knock it off. He also doesn't like it when I hang hand towels in the guest bathroom. He's perfectly fine with towels in the main bathroom but not in the guest bath. He goes in and yanks them down. It's not "bad" behavior per se, but he will only eat wet cat food when it's on a paper plate. Over the years, we've bought him some really nice pet bowls but refuses to even touch his wet food if it isn't on a paper plate. And then there is my cell phone. When it rings, it flashes the caller's picture and plays music and he absolutely loves that. He watches tv, I think he thinks it's a little tiny tv. My phone rings and he dashes to it like a speed demon....and knocks it to the floor so he can look at it. Sometimes he even whacks me when I take it from him.

He's got you trained purrfectly. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Contributor

as a pug owner myself, this post made me laugh,my one male will chew on anything with in his reach, while my female tries so hard to look innocent{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

My boy kitty, Booker, broke a Christmas music box that I'd had for a very long time last night. He's a "de-clutterer" and apparently thought I had too many Christmas items on the bookshelf. Of course, he picks the ONLY breakable item on the shelf to knock off! Bad kitty!

Respected Contributor

aww, poor frosty! Glad he could be mended. I have two siamese cats and they like to mess about with things. The Christmas tree is meant to be chewed on and maybe let's climb up and knock off the ornaments.

the last 2 nights one of them has been very interested in getting into a hat box that I moved from the closet - one that has a hat in it. I'm not sure why, but by golly it was important to do at 3 a.m.

And yes, I spoil them rotten!