Respected Contributor

Share one of your best holiday memories when you were a child

Growing up in the 50s, I had an older sister and a younger brother. I wouldn't say we were poor, but we certainly didn't have much either. Dad would bring home a tree from a lot that had just about been sold out...he would get one of the leftover trees that others had passed on. It didn't matter to us, it was Christmas Eve and Santa was coming, so we had better decorate it nicely with tinsel, lights (the large size ones), angel hair and some decorations we hand made or had from previous years. We hung our real socks on the fireplace mantle so Santa could fill them with candy, nuts and maybe an orange.

Christmas morning was a wonderful time.. It didn't matter that we only had one or two gifts from Santa...perhaps a board game and a pair of pj's was what Santa chose for each of us. I could smell mom cooking the gravy (sauce) we would have on our spaghetti. If we were lucky, we also had chicken for Christmas dinner.

Now that my mom and dad are gone and we have all grown into adults with our own children, I often think of those wonderful Christmas memories. I cherish each and every moment.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: Share one of your best holiday memories when you were a child

When I was small enough to believe in Santa we lived on a farm, so while we certainly had plenty to eat we were always on the edge financially. We were allowed to ask Santa for one gift and we got one from our parents and one from our siblings. When we came down to the living room in the morning there would be a small blue spruce in a bucket with lights on it and a pile of 3 gifts for each of us. After we opened the gifts we would all decorate the tree.THEN - my aunts and uncles and cousins would start to arrive and the gifts would come rolling in AND THEN - OMG - my grandparents would come - loaded down with gifts for us and our cousins. I always thought my Grandpap was really Santa. The huge dinner with all the family - us kids all playing with our cousins all day - and some of them lived far away and they would stay over. (My dad was one of 16 children so Aunts, Uncles and cousins really dominated my childhood). On NY day my dad would very carefully take the decorations off the little tree and take it out in the yard to a hole he had dug before it got cold and plant it. We had an entire yard full of blue spruce trees. By the time we moved off the farm into the city we no longer believed in Santa, so all my memories of magical Christmases are pretty much at the farm.

Respected Contributor

My parents made Christmas a magical time! I grew up in the '60's and my parents didn't have a lot but they always decorated everything that stood still and got my brother and I super special gifts. The best part was the booby trap that my Dad put up on Christmas Eve across the living room door. It was rigged with bells that would ring if we disturbed it! It was a blast! I still remember the feeling of not being able to sleep because of all of the pent up excitement!

Honored Contributor

Any Christmas going up was the best. We'd start the day by opening gifts at home. Then off to my fathers parents house to pickup my grandmother to go to mass. When we got back, we'd get a card with some cash. Then we'd head to my mothers parents house for a big meal, followed by opening Christmas presents. There was always a real tree decorated to the hilt. Family was very important to my father. We were spoiled by seeing both sets of grandparents every Christmas.

Respected Contributor

When I was young we lived in the country and for two months before Christmas my Mother, sister and myself made Christmas ornaments. We did snowflakes and stars and pine cones all decorated with glitter and crayons. We strung popcorn and cranberries. We had one string of bubble lights and some tinsel. I remember watching Daddy coming across the creek with our Christmas tree behind the tractor. The tree was huge! We decorated it with all of our homemade ornaments and garland. It was the most beautiful tree we had ever seen. We had a lot of love but not a lot of money. Santa left my sister and I both a big coloring book and a package of eight crayons. Our stockings were filled with an orange, nuts, hard ribbon candy and a candy cane that was a foot long and about and inch around! We were so excited that morning we came out and saw what Santa had left us. My Dad has been gone for eighteen years and I still have the leather gloves he wore and I can in my mind still see him coming across the creek and see him blowing on his hands with those gloves on because it was so cold. It really was a magical Christmas!

Contributor

We had many nice Christmas's. When I was very young, I always wondered why Santa and Mom's handwriting was so similar! We had a very sweet old neighbor that would drop off red bags filled with Santa presents...he would ring the doorbell and run away fast. Also 1 year I swear I thought I saw Santa and his reindeers flying in the sky!!

We would always go to my Grandma and Grandpa's house about 2hrs away...there were MANY cousins and aunts and uncles. All the kids would sit on the floor and eat off of tv trays, while the adults barely fit at the table. So many people there, I really miss those days!!

Merry Christmas everybody!!

Esteemed Contributor

It's such a small thing, but Christmas morning was the only time of the year that we had pastries for breakfast like danish or some sort of cake bought from a real bakery. We'd go through our stockings then open the bakery box, untying the red and white twisted string that kept it closed, and dive into a gooey, sweet treat before opening gifts. Usually we'd get a sip or two of milky coffee, too.

I never think twice now about having what I want, when I want it. Remembering this reminds me to leave somethings as special and anticipated.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

All the Christmas hoopla didn't start till the Friday after Thanksgiving.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

When we still believed in Santa, we would go to bed around 6:00 p.m for a nap before going to midnight mass and would come home and immediately have to go to bed. We were told Santa would be coming soon so we had to be asleep. When we woke up the tree was magically trimmed with presents under the tree. After we were older we would decorate the tree while watching one of the old Scrooge movies, nap and go to midnight mass and then come home and open gifts and eat ham sandwiches and candy. Those days can never be recreated but the memories make me smile and happy!!

Regular Contributor

Love to read all the posts. Its true memories are the best. For me it was going to buy the tree with my father.My sister would get so excited and couldn't wait to decorate. Couldn't wait for the Eve and Christmas Day to be with all the aunt's,uncles and cousins and enjoy the traditional Italian feasts. Sadly, all are now gone but as I listen to the holiday music on the radio the memories come flooding back.Now it's time to make new memories with grandchildren and then eventually they will have stories to tell. And the cycle will go on. Merry Christmas