Honored Contributor

I've made a few crocheted ones over the years. One I had given to an aunt nearly 35 yrs ago, one to my mom (who passed away) that a niece of mine now has...which is fine. I still have one which has been given LOTS of TLC, never used, just stored well, and I put nearly a year of most my free time on about 30 yrs ago. It's very large...will cover the top of a twin bed. I also won a blue ribbon for it in the Durham Fair in CT back in the day...

The problem is that it doesn't go with any of my decor and no family members want it either.

I'm considering selling it on EBay, knowing I will never get close to the value I think it's worth, which makes me very sad. It makes no sense of keeping it stored any longer with it not being used either. I have thought about having DH bury me with it in the casket if I 'go' before he does {#emotions_dlg.blink}..........{#emotions_dlg.laugh}............Funny, but not funny.

Anyone else have cherished items they have worked very hard on that isn't being used? Smile

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry no one wants your beautiful and loving work. It seems to be the norm theses days. I do understand when someone reaches that time in life where they need or want to lighten the load, or when they pass away, not everything that we treasure will be kept or treasured by the next generation, but we hope that the most special things will.

Only you know if you are really ready to move on from that special piece, but I have found that I have things I have kept over the years that I really thought I wanted to dispose of, but didn't, and as time passes, I get those treasured pieces out once more and use them. Like most things, the style, the color or the usefulness of it tend to come in and out of 'fashion', and perhaps in the future you will have a use for it again.

Selling on Ebay would be one option, but if it will hurt to see it sell for so little, perhaps choosing the right place to donate it would feel better. It would need to be something close to your heart. A domestic violence shelter, a homeless shelter, a hospice or nursing home, or any other such place that speaks to you and that you feel would benefit and deserve such a lovely piece.

Whatever you decide, I hope it brings happiness and joy to both you, and those that receive it.

Honored Contributor

Consider donating it-

http://www.projectlinus.org/

Respected Contributor
I have several large hooked rugs I did back in the 70's. Some are stretched over plywood and banded, some, left alone. I put a lot of time into them when I was going through stressful work issues. Rather than let them sit idly by, I donated them. Some folks are getting great use out of them. And, the charity got some money. Recently I buy up handmade afghans at the local thrift shop if the colors are great as well as their condition. I get them for a few dollars and donate them to a church for their summer picnic: they raffle them off from display rods. Win - Win- Win.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Susan, you might think about donating it to a charity for their sale to raise funds.

Honored Contributor

At our camp where we stay when we snowbird every summer I needed a coffee table to set drinks on -and a ottoman so I found a set of storage ottomans at TJ maxx that matched my color scheme and the top comes off to flip over and be a table much like the VPH ones only the ones at TJ Maxx are leather.Anyway, shortly after we got the camper a neighbor gave me a quilt she had made and it is lovely , plus nice and warm when it is chilly out - but it totally did not match my color scheme, so I store it in that ottoman and it is readily available if I'm cold - or if my great nephew sleeps over on the sofa, but the fact it doesn't match is immaterial because no one but us ever sees it anyway.

Trusted Contributor
I have 3 cherished afghans that my grandmother's friend made close to 30 yrs ago ~ they each cover a queen size bed ~ there is nothing warmer, cozier or more snugly!! Over the years they have been laundered several times and still are fabulous!!!! Adore them!! Hope yours will be used and enjoyed with love!
Honored Contributor

I have a quilt I made years ago. I sewed the top together by machine, then hand quilted the rest. It was supposed to be queen size, but it's probably closer to a king. It's a raspberry pink color. I moved after making it and it's never fit in since. It's been sitting in the closet all this time. I'm not sure that I'd part with it. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to make it work without painting the bedroom pink.

Respected Contributor

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you are ready to part with the afghan. So don't! You can keep it and not worry about it for now. Or....

Do you have a friend who would like it?

Ebay is such a hassle, and you probably won't get a price which reflects the effort and expense put into it. I looked at the prices at ebay, all the way from hundreds going on down. (Just because people are asking hundreds doesn't mean they'll get it.) Shipping will eat into what you get too, plus a proper box and anything else needed to ship, plus insurance in case it gets lost. You could list it and see what happens--nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Do you have a local thrift shop which benefits a cause which you support? That would be a good place to donate if you decide to do so. Or maybe a local assisted living, someone there might need an afghan. But don't do it until you are ready.

Also...don't worry much about what goes with your décor. It's something of beauty which you made; doesn't matter if it doesn't match anything. Could it go across the bottom of a bed? Or just resting on an open shelf as a display of your workmanship? It's sad to think you are getting rid of it just because it's taking up space.

Esteemed Contributor

I have about ten afghans - some that my grandma crocheted probably 50 years ago, one that a friend's mom made for me when I graduated from HS (1977), and one that my sister made for me last year.

Believe it or not, I use them in my dogs' beds, in the bed of my truck when I need a cushion for furniture purchases (grandma would turn over in her grave), and wash as necessary. I'm using one rigt now as a tree skirt on the front porch (the pattern you always saw on the back of Roseanne's couch - and she used to live on the same street I was born on in SLC, and where my grandma lived), and if we need extra covers they go on the bed. They wear like iron and I have fun playing up the vintage appeal when I change up my seasonal decor. I even put them in the dryer (though not the one my sister made; it's lovely but her knots are a bit dicey . . .).

They are cherished but meant to be used.

Cogito ergo sum