Respected Contributor

I had not seen a thread like this for awhile, so maybe it can help some of us.Smiley Happy

I received this H201737 Snuggle Pads All-In-One Pillow Tray by Lori Greiner, ordered for my Mom so she can have her meals in her special recliner and it's small size is just perfect! There is a larger pillow styled one also. But she loves the stuffed animal tray, it's incredibly soft and she folds it back and sleeps with it. So if your parent can't really eat at the kitchen table, this is a nice solution.

List your successful gift choices.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

My Mom still loves pretty earrings and Ralph Lauren turtlenecks!!

I get her sparkley Charter Club post earrings from Macys and recently I found some good sales on the RL turtlenecks that she loves so much.

My step-Dad is another story. I usually get him shirts and candy. I take lots of family pictures through the year with my IPhone, print and frame them. They also make these photo albums that look like a kiss lock clutch that holds many pictures. I fill that up for my mom. They come in all kinds of patterns and hold 4 x 6 photos. They can be found on Amazon.

Product Details

Super Contributor

My mom is no longer with me, but she loved jewelry right up to the end of her days.

A comfortable throw to snuggle up in is always a good choice or a nice big sweater (I always particularly loved the ones from Ireland). And of course on a different tack, the proverbial gift card to a favorite market.

Come to think of it, I'm getting up there myself, but it seems like yesterday that I was still taking care of my mom.

Honored Contributor

V30648

Honored Contributor

It isn't from here, but I bought from ShopHQ something I thought was ingenious. My mom (and me too) is always cold. When she is sitting watching TV or reading, trying to keep a blanket on the upper part of you doesn't work, and those Slanket things or whatever they were called are open in the back leaving your upper back cold, plus they are long and make you trip when you get up to move.

Item number 438-082 Cozelle front zip oversized wrap. This thing is a combination of bathrobe, throw, bed jacket, and and cape like fashion piece. It is long enough to cover your legs when sitting down, short enough to not trip over when you walk. Zips up the front, has arm holes, is one size fits most, and the best thing since sliced bread.

There was a thread on here where lots of people purchased it when it was their value of the day, and I did too. Wish I had got a couple more for some friends. For anyone who is cold, but you worry about them tripping over blankets or throws or wraps and they aren't warm enough, this is the thing.

Respected Contributor
Great posts everyone, wonderful ideas here! My condolences to you Issiestorm.Smiley Sad. I take care of my mom, too.
Respected Contributor

Four or five years ago, I bought several Sunbeam plug-in lap blankets. Everyone loved those no matter what their age. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to work for very long, plus you had to pay attention so that you didn't trip over the cord.

Honored Contributor
Shopping for my grandmother was quite he challenge. We would get clip on earrings, cardigan sweaters, full length slips, bengay, african violets, cookies, stamps. The list sounds easy enough, but finding clip on earrings that only cost a couple dollars was a challenge. She would lose them, so we didn't like to spend alot. She was 94 when she passed. Her mind was very sharp. The thing she cherished most was visits. Give the gift of time. She got such a kick out of holding my sister's babies.
Valued Contributor

My mother (age 91 with a very sharp mind) recently moved in with my DH and I. Slipper socks are on my list for her, and if I can find a nice pair of comfortable shoes for her, that is about all I can think of. Tomorrow I am trimming her hair and giving her a perm. She has everything she needs on a daily basis here. I cook wonderful meals for all of us, and she really enjoys that. A few small gifts to open on Christmas will be nice, but my gift to her is my time and nurturing. I take her to all of her doctor apts and listen to what the doctors say, and make sure she takes her meds right. Slipper socks and comfy shoes, and I am good to go with her.

Trusted Contributor
I set up my great aunt with these remotes http://t.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-Indoor-Wireless-Remote-Control-Kit-RC-015-3/202353567 One remote controls three different outlets. I bought 2 sets, so she can have one remote in the living room and one in the bedroom. You can plug anything into these. This way she doesn't have to walk around at night turning off lamps. She just has to hit a few buttons and can go straight to bed. It's good for getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and if you hear a bump in the night, you can always keep the remote next to the bed, and just hit a button and turn on a lamp in the other room to scare off any potential prowlers. She loves and appreciates this gift, and I love her!