Esteemed Contributor

Lifted up area rug and found...

that the area underneath had lightened! This is engineered hickory hardwood. There was a nonslip pad under the rug. Has anyone had this happen? There is a distinct outline where the rug was. The fact that it is lighter makes us think it may have been a reaction to the nonslip pad. There is no direct sunlight in this room, but if there was, one would think it would be darker where the rug was, not lighter.

Just wondered if anyone has experience this and what did you do? I am dreading that the only answer is redoing the floors.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Lifted up area rug and found...

I'll be interested in responses. I have a similar problem with the hardwood in my small foyer. I just keep a large enough throw rug on it….at least for now. Additionally, I have hardwood in my kitchen and have to keep throw rugs down to prevent sun-bleaching.

Honored Contributor

Did you wash the hardwood real good around the edges? Not sure how you cleaned your hardwood weekly. Dry mop? Swiffer? But dirt collects on hardwood just as it would any other floor type. So I would give it a good scrubbing and see if it comes up lighter.

Esteemed Contributor

Dirty area vs clean area. I highly doubt if it's caused by reaction to anything except .....dirt! In my foyer (vinyl flooring) I have 2 scatter rugs to catch the snow/water in front of two doors..... and when I remove them you can see that area much brighter than the bare floor area we walk on.

Under the rug is clean brighter and like it was new = it's been protected. You have wood flooring so you'll have to figure out what is best to use - for me I bought and used a Hoover floor scrubber (gentle). Perhaps that (steam ?) machine with pads that QVC sells would clean and not cause damage would be one to consider.

Relax - it's just dirt on the exposed flooring and clean under your rugs.

Please report back what worked!

Honored Contributor

YES... throw rugs or large area rugs will show a difference in the floor if you lift them up... We moved into our home 4 years ago and I have two large area rugs and throw rugs on the hardwood. The engineered wood actually changes color around the rugs, so what is under the rug is a lighter version. This has happened to me and it's angering.

I talked to the Contractor and he told me that unless we have the floors stripped, sanded and re-sealed it will probably stay this way. The daylight is actually "turning" the color of the wood darker even if it's in a somewhat darkened room. I was told it "just does this".

In my last house we had extensive laminate floors put in and they did not do this, but there are other inherent things re laminate floors that I didn't like (and a lot that I did).

So... in my experience, and getting some answers from a professional (as well as a piece of paper outlining what to expect with wood floors)... there is nothing that can be done to get rid of this two-tone look outside of stripping the floors, sanding them and applying a new sealer. Nice, huh?? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

The same thing has happened in my foyer under my orientals. It is from the sun I assume. Some of the rubber type pads do cause it to discolor. Yes, the only thing you can do is have it refinished, my floors are hardwoods.

Trusted Contributor

Same thing in our kitchen eating area where we have a large area rug on top of hardwood under our breakfast table. The floor under the rug has lightened. The matting on the back of the rug has deteriorated somewhat, too.......probably from frequent spot-cleaning in an eating area.

(I must say, I was relieved when I read that "lightened floors" was all you found when you lifted up your area rug! I wasn't sure what you might have encountered when I read your title line!)

{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Honored Contributor

You know how the Dooney rep often talks about the leather trim on their bags darkening with age? What's the possibility of wood floors also darkening with age and that the parts under the rugs are the original color?

I'm reading this thread because right now I'm trying to decide between wood and tile (or even if I decide to go cheap between tile and carpet the way the builder did it 20+ years ago).

I'd really like wood although here in southern Florida I just can't seem to think it's truly a great idea and now this thread is giving me another hesitation. Porcelain tile mimicking wood is looking better and better.

Honored Contributor

On the two large room area rugs, I do not have a non-slip rubber-type pads, wasn't needed, so it's just the woven rug backing. The smaller throw rugs have a built in rubber backing (but all the rugs are only 4 years old).. and ALL of the rugs are doing this... {#emotions_dlg.mad}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for all your responses! This is in a house we recently purchased. We have not moved in yet. We are in the process of repainting all the walls, so I have not tried a good cleaning of the area yet. I really hope that is all it is, but if not, we will contact a professional. I was considering putting an area rug back where the large rug was, but I didn't really want one in the foyer........may have to change my plans.....

Thanks again, girls. I knew I could count on you for ideas!

Kiss

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!