Honored Contributor

How large is your dinnerware collection?

I have had the same $29.99 (on clearance) 32 pc Johnson Brothers plain white dinnerware set since I move out of my folks home and into my apt back in the early 80's...still going strong. The only additional pieces I got when I got married were a few red bowls from Pier One about 15 yrs ago, 4 Cardinal and 4 Plaid dinner plates from Cracker Barrel about 6 years ago...with a variety of several mugs I've collected...that's it...until this year {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Hopefully overall, I"m not doing too bad...lol

This past month or so it seems I have made up for lost time. It has been fun adding some new pieces for a variety. I just never thought much of dinnerware until now. Even our flatware came from a 64 pc set I got back in the early 80's...nothing fancy. A few weeks ago I got some 12 pc sets from Pottery Barn with red handles for a nice change.

Please share Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: How large is your dinnerware collection?

Lost everything in the '94 quake. Have a few plates from the $ store, and no intention of purchasing china again.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how many place settings I have all told. I bought my first set of porcelain china in my 20s which has service for 8 and since then I've added 2 more sets of different patterns that I've collected by the piece. I do have a set of corelle I bought when the kids were little that we still use for heating stuff in the microwave or if we're eating outside. I use my china everyday and love it.

I can safely say that the dishwasher is full before we ever run out of plates.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

My first set was KMart when I moved out on my own and pieces slowly met their demise.

I went to Fiestaware about 3 years ago and am slowly collecting. I have enough dinnerware for casual service for 8. Plates, bowls, mugs, etc but still working on serving pieces. I bought new flatware from Liberty Table Top. Made in the USA. My old flatware was from the 80's and was dull from age and too many trips to the garbage disposal. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Formal dinnerware is Lenox China, my true love! Service for 12 w/serving pieces. I also have Lenox Holiday china. I did have Lenox fine crystal to match the china but with many pieces damaged over the years I sold the remaining pieces on ebay and then started buying Lenox leaded crystal. Heavier and more durable.

I have a set of Oneida silverplate flatware, service for 12. Couldn't swing Sterling so that's as close as I can get!

Respected Contributor

When I got my first apt in the early 90s, my mom gave me her Johnson Bros set, which we had since I was a kid, and I loved. It was white with a flower pattern. I can't remember the name. I kept the serving platter, but the rest of the set I gave away in the late 90s when I got an 8 piece place setting of Franciscan Desert Rose. I love this set too. However, I moved into a new home two years ago, and the Franciscan didn't quite go, so I bought a four piece setting of Martha Stewart Lisbon pattern. They are a creamy white with a swirly taupe pattern, and I love them. I also have a couple extra plates from the same line, but in the creamy white. My flatware is from my grandparents, so probably from.the late 1950s. It's stainless with wood handles. I've had this forever and never thought of changing. My grandparents had this, my mom has it, and I have it. It's like the family flatware set. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

My dinnerware is Blue Willow I bought with stamps from the grocery store in the '80s, and a few pieces of white Corningware that we bought because the blue willow was too heavy for my mom. I bought another set in the early 2000's that was "Tuscan", my grown boys and DH wanted the Blue Willow back (so did I after a few weeks), so we're back to the Blue Willow.

I have a collection of antique Blue Willow dishes on display in my kitchen.

Super Contributor

One complete service for six - plain black from Ikea. It was a gift.

Everyday ... something from JCP ... white with cobalt border.

Trusted Contributor

My mother loves glassware and dinnerware and has several sets of 12. I have sets of 12 of original Fiesta, Noritake and a few depression glass styles from her. She gave me a set of 12 of cut-glass stemware, too. I use all of them, but not 12 at a time!
Respected Contributor

I collect dinnerware so I have a lot. I, too, lost most of my fragile items in the Northridge quake, but I've been building my collection back up ever since. I was just thinking the other day that I probably won't collect any new patterns as I'm out of storage space. I'll keep hunting through eBay listings for the missing pieces that I want, though.

Valued Contributor

My very first dinnerware set was Plaftzgraf that was a wedding gift, It was very large set. several pieces through the years got broke, etc. Then I got a large set of fiestaware started. During that collecting phase I discovered Polish Pottery on QVC. I was in love! I bought so much of that I must have 500 pieces. It is beautiful! I have every piece in my China cabinets and my kitchen cabinets and I use it every single day several times. I gave most of my fiestaware to my daughter and I kept the bigger cereal bowls to go with my Polish Pottery. I would very much love to have a set of all white dishes for something different but, for one thing, I could not bare to put my Polish pottery away (plus is was very expensive), and I have no where to put a second set of dishes. I was also gifted a beautiful set of Lenox China on our wedding but it is packed away now .

Beckyblu