Honored Contributor

Anyone else planning their after holidays decluttering yet?

Just got all the Christmas decor, wrapping and baking under my belt, and I'm already scheming about how to approach my annual winter declutter and cleaning process!

I have been trying to keep up the processes we all were talking about last year, but I'm really ready to dive in and get rid of things in some areas that I worked on last year. For me, it sometimes has to come in stages. Things I decided to keep last year, that are still not being used will be so much easier to move out this time.

I always start small, because it gives me a feeling of accomplishment when even just one closet or drawer is done, neat, functional and not overstuffed! I think after Christmas, the Christmas storage closet will be the first thing, then on to the coat closet. The rest will fall in to place quickly, as once I start, I don't stop till I've been through the whole house.

Anyone else making plans to get started after the holiday?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone else planning their after holidays decluttering yet?

I do it throughout the year. When I bring an item in, another goes out.
Honored Contributor

Oh yes, it's an annual Jan/Feb process. I really went through Christmas décor last year after the holidays, and am going to do the same this year as I still did not use everything that I kept. Then I keep going from that point until I have gone through the entire house. By then it is time I can start planning what new I want to do outdoors once the weather warms up enough to get outside.

Wonder if all the various charities gear up every year for all the donations they know will be coming in?

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I really need to pare down. I have so much stuff! This is going to be my winter project. I did it before but I wasn't ruthless enough. I could open a department store or a supermarket in my building lol

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've been editing lately, and have Purple Heart coming tomorrow to pick stuff up. I'm clearing shelves in the garage for the Christmas stuff so when that comes down, it will be simple and organized. It feels so peaceful to know where everything is and to not keep extraneous stuff around.

Snickster, I will also be planning projects. I made a diagram of our spring bulbs, and I'll add a few perennials to that border. They deck may need work. We had a large excavation done in the side yard that has tricky drainage issues and equipment right in the middle of things, so I'll contemplate what to plant there. Little O/T. Thanks for the post mominohio. Keeps me on track!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Good luck with your projects and decluttering everyone!

Regular Contributor

Yes I have already started the winter/ Christmas de-clutter. It is sad to say but this year my family has experienced so many personal/family deaths. And, I have been the one to make all the family funeral arrangements. Now, at 68 this makes me realize how hard it will be on my family to sort through everything. So, early on in 2014 I began to give many personal items away, to review my will, to get all my finances in order, to leave detailed instructions, etc. Of course, part of this process was to de-clutter and that is what I have been doing this year. What is left is the Christmas décor. You know, its not so hard once you get started and I for one have a satisfied sense of accomplishment. I have given away to safe houses, thrift stores that serve the needy, family, friends, from everything to furniture, clothes and plants, anything and everything that has not been used in years and has just taken up space. Wow, do I have a lot of room and it looks good. Less for me to clean and polish and try to stuff away someplace. It really does feel good. So, my very small house is in order.

My goal was to start 2015 clutter free with everything in order. It took a while but I'm done. FYI ladies, my DH was another matter, but he has all his stuff in a work shop and all of it goes to his brother. So, all I'm going to do is to put a lock on the shed and give the key to his brother, with a "tag" your it. Now, if I could only get my 3 pugs to be "in order". Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

After my big de-cluttering movement 2 years ago, I have found this to be much easier to keep up with. I just gathered the holiday catalogs that will be going out the door on Friday, and have a couple of boxes to drop off at the Union Mission. I gave away 6 more handbags, so that all I have left are 2 Vera B's, 2 Dooney's, a Sak, 2 Tignanello's, and 3 Brahmins. I also find that it is much easier for me to let go of my things, and I have also sorted in phases. I am heading into the basement soon, for my second phase of sorting down there, and have warned my girls to make sure their "treasures" are out of my way!

Honored Contributor

Yes. I've had a spare bedroom filled with stuff to the point of it being essentially a storage room for way too long and is utterly unusable. Actually, it's the nicest of my bedrooms and I've decided to move into it.. Before doing so, however, the clutter must go. It's going to be a long, process and yet I'm determined to do it. I'll use a smaller bedroom for overflow, there's no way around it, but in the process, I'll at least clear out a good bit of stuff that has long needed sifting and sorting and I'll also gain a much nicer, much larger room for my use.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

We actually did this about a month ago. Went through all of our Christmas decorations and sorted what we didn't want any longer. Took them all to Volunteers of America. They love receiving Christmas decorations this time of year. So much of it was still in original packaging. We were able to clear out a huge amount. If we had items we didn't remember or haven't used in a while it all went. So after Christmas de cluttering is already done!