Super Contributor

Moved to Mexico to Retire?? Know anyone??

I was wondering what city they have retired to. Any info appreciated.
Honored Contributor

Re: Moved to Mexico to Retire?? Know anyone??

I know of a few that have moved to Costa Rica and Colombia. I don't know their exact location now, but it was to be able to live cheaper and be near the many species of Hummingbirds.

There seems to be a lot of locations in South America that have retired communities that are growing. I'm sure there is lots of info online about them. However, I don't know about Mexico.

Honored Contributor

My parents had friends who retired in Mexico, however they didn't stay very long. They were able to rent a beautiful home and had a housekeeper but the utilities were only on sporadically. They said it was like luxurious camping. From what I know about Mexico, living close as I do, wild horses couldn't drag me there to visit, let alone live. Thanks but I'll stay on this side of the border.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have an ex in Peru, but the theory is that its because they don't have an extradition treaty.

Honored Contributor

Years ago we camped next to a couple who were retired military and trying to live cheaply. They had started out living in Mexico but hated that -They were frequently getting sick from the water and the utilities were sporadic so they decided that living in the USA in a camper was a step up from living in Mexico in a house. Personally, i would get a job and afford to live well where ever instead of moving to some 3rd world country to live cheaply.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree completely with happy housewife. I would live just about anywhere in the US in just about anything rather than try to live cheaply in a third world country. I have traveled a lot, including Mexico. The water was unsafe to drink, the pollution was unbearable, and fear of violent crime permeates daily life. If people think that a fancy gated community of expats provides safety, they are deluding themselves. My son-in-law's sister lived in a fancy enclave in Mexico years ago. Her husband had a good job there. When she and her husband decided to start a famiiy, the first thing the did was move out of Mexico.
Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 Still Raining said:

I have an ex in Peru, but the theory is that its because they don't have an extradition treaty.

THAT was my "laugh for the day"........thanks for the humor!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I would never move there. I don't trust that country.
Honored Contributor

I think right now, especially, is not a good time to even consider living in another country. Just my opinion.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

It might be a red flag when you think of the people coming into the US daily from Mexico Smiley Happy