Respected Contributor

Green Gobbler drain opener - Does it work?

I live in an older home and slow drains are always a problem. Wondering if anyone has had success using the Green Gobbler.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Green Gobbler drain opener - Does it work?

It worked for me. Reviews are very good. Best to let it work over night or do a second packet next day. You have the return option until 1/31/15, so nothing to lose.

Frequent Contributor

you can get it at Home Depot, 3 packs for under $10.00 and NO S&H!!!!!!!! ours had it in display soon as you walk in door.

Trusted Contributor

I am glad to hear it is available at HD. I recently had my pipes cleared from the roof and want to use it as a preventative measure.

Regular Contributor

I have had problems with the tub draining, and had the plumber out to unclog it. He told me to use one cup of bleach (once a week), pour it down the drain wherever you have a problem, let it sit in their for 5 minutes, then run hot water (only) down the drain for another 5 minutes and your drains will stay good and running well. He told me all these other products just ruin the pipes and eat them up after awhile. Bleach is safer on the pipes and a lot cheaper. Just have to do it once a week to keep the plumber from having to do it his way. A little maintenance will save you the headaches and money spent. He told his mother to do it as well and she has no problems. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I have an older home and the drains are always running slow. I also have allergies and most of the drain cleaners bother my breathing. (even with air purifiers/filters running) Green Gobbler works pretty good for the slow running drains and as a maintenance product. I have used it on a clogged drain and had to repeat the process a few times. Of course, that is usually the same with other products.

I keep this on hand to keep the drains running smooth. This product works the best for our drains on the slow run issue and to keep them from getting clogged so I keep this on hand. If you have a tough clog then I think you will need something much stronger.

I did see a home remedy of vinegar and baking soda that I did try on the slow running drains. It had a 50/50 % success rate and did not last as long as the Green Gobbler. The key is the age and condition of your pipes. Plumbing problems make me so nervous because they are a mess and an expense.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't doubt that it works, but make sure you know your particular situation before you use anything like that. I live with a unique "grinder pit" situation, AKA pressure sewer system, and I've been told by the maker of said system to avoid GG, because it could be caustic to the holding tank that then activates the pump to send the macerated effluent to the public sewer line. Agree, DeePa, plumbing issues are a big deal. My water main shut off valve was not working entirely, and I was a nervous wreck until it was replaced. Some of my friends didn't seem to get the ramifications of a plumbing failure, with no ability to shut the main off.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

I think it will depend on what your drain clog happens to be. Some clogs require power-even a plumber, perhaps.

Respected Contributor

It absolutely worked for me. A great grandchild threw up in our bathroom sink, didn't tell us right away, and it created a 100% clog. (Sorry to be so graphic!)

Anyway, I cleaned it out as best I could, and put in one package of Green Gobbler. It took about 15 minutes or so, but suddenly the drain flowed beautifully. I will definitely order it again.

Thanks, Nevadablue, for the heads up about Home Depot.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for mentioning Home Depot. I've been curious about this product and will def check it out.Smiley Happy