Honored Contributor

Themed Christmas tree or lifetime collection of ornaments?

When you do your Christmas tree(s), do you have a themed tree, or do you have a collection of a lifetime of memorable ornaments from friends, family and the ones the kids made over the years?

I have done both, but can't seem to get through Christmas without doing that hodge podge tree of all the great special ornaments from my own childhood, my kid, friends and a lifetime of travels and such. If I want a themed tree as well, I do a second or even a third, but that one with all the special memories has to be up for it to really be Christmas.

How do you do a tree(s) at your house?

Honored Contributor

Re: Themed Christmas tree or lifetime collection of ornaments?

Lifetime collection of ornaments.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

My (one) tree has a theme - Christmas! I put every ornament I've ever collected on it all at once. It's a trip down memory lane when I trim my tree - at least one dated ornament for every year, babies' first Christmas, the one I received from the secret santa at work, first Christmas in our new home, the ones my sons made in Sunday school, you get the idea. It looks great when I'm done and everyone compliments it.

I guess you could say it's a traditional style.

Honored Contributor

I have two trees - one is all Swarovksi crystal snowflake ornaments and crystal icicles. Last year was the first crystal globe ornament, so that one went on that tree. That tree is in my living room.

The tree in my family room is all of our family ornaments that we have collected through the years - vacations, events, ornaments the kids made.

Trusted Contributor

I have a themed tree. Multiple-colored per-lit tree with big red poinsettia picks scattered and all clear, white and silver ornaments.

I do have about 30-40 special ornaments that I've kept over the years and they are hung on a special ornament tree that I display in the kitchen. The very few hand made ornaments that I've gotten from the nieces and nephews over the years are displayed on the ornament tree for the that season and then get packed away. Good or bad, I don't attach much sentiment to Christmas decorations.

So I guess you can say a do a more themed "department store" decorating style than a traditional/antiqued/crafty one.

Respected Contributor

I have both. Since we moved into our condo several years ago, I've had theme trees. Chic, "designer" type trees and that's the way I'll go this year. The white tree with with all gold and white ornaments. But I think next year, I'd like to put up the big spruce tree and decorate it with all the old ornaments from Christmases past, including the ones I inherited from my Mom. I'd have to bring up bunch of boxes from our storage unit and sort through all of them; so, I can't really do it this year. Next year. It will be like visiting old friends...lol

Valued Contributor

On 12/8/2014 gardenman said:

Lifetime collection of ornaments.

Mine too, each ornament has its' owm story.

Honored Contributor

Don't do the lifetime anymore, for the last 5 years or so it's been a theme.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

We did a lifetime collection decorated tree when our kids were small. We had ornaments DH and I started our first tree with and collected more over the years, but also included the homemade ornaments the kids made in elementary school.

Then we did a themed tree for several years.

Two years ago, I we didn't put up a tree at all.

Last year, DH wanted a tree up. Before Christmas even got here, the bottom section of lighted went kaput. Good thing we weren't planning any holiday parties! We pitched the tree after we undecorated it.

This year, I went retro. I found a silver aluminum tree and rotating stand on Wayfair. Then I went to eBay and found a color wheel. I picked up some new ornaments at Hobbly Lobby - solid red and gold "glass" balls. I think I might add some green next year. Anyway, I'm beyond delighted with my tree. It's not exactly the same, but it brings back many memories of my childhood.

Honored Contributor

Lifetime collection of ornaments. To me - that is the point of putting up a Christmas tree - the memories it evokes. I don't care at all if no other soul ever even sees it. I put it up for me. Many of the ornaments on my tree my Mom and I made together. Some are ones my great grandparents brought with them when they came from Germany - they are the pretty blown glass ones. They immigrated here when they were newlyweds at 13 & 14 years old - hard to believe today. But they were born in the 1860's in a small Bavarian village.

We also have ornaments and a nativity that belonged to my MIL, and are meaningful to my DH.