Occasional Contributor

Help! I am desperate! We recently moved back into our rental home and I quickly found out the water is very hard. I had a softener system installed, HOWEVER, I have horrible hard water (or lime) stains in the toilet bowls! I have tried Limeaway, CLR, vinegar, BarKeepers Friend, Comet, and baking soda. Nothing works. I keep toilet bleach tablets installed, but to no avail. I am praying someone out there has a miracle solution for me! I am having Xmas guests, and don't want them to use these disgusting toilets! Any help is sooooo appreciated!!

Frequent Contributor
Try some bleach, and leave it In there overnight.
Valued Contributor

I saw the Ring Eraser in the Vermont Country store. Looks like it got good reviews. It's a pumice stone on a stick. Maybe the local hardware store would have that.

Honored Contributor

Did you google the problem and see what comes up?

Esteemed Contributor

Long's Toilet Ring Remover - This stuff absolutely works, but it is very strong and should only be used occasionally. Someone gave me a bottle years ago and I still have most of it left. Once you get the toilet clean, you can then start routine cleaning with something milder to maintain the clean. I use Zep acidic toilet bowl cleaner as my routine cleaner, which can be bought at Walmart, Tractor Supply, etc.

I do not know anything about how to obtain the Long's product, since a professional gave it to me, but on this following video it is mentioned that they sell the product. I am in no way affiliated with these people or this company. I just googled the product and the video came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IClmu8EbCeU

Edited to Add: If you don't trust clicking links posted here, just google the name of the product and the first few links will lead you to information. Hope this helps.

Occasional Visitor
The Queen of Clean recommended drywall sanding paper for this problem. It is sold at hardware or home improvement stores. It is very cheap. It looks like a grid... square holes throughout. It comes in different coarse levels. Get the FINE. You cut off a piece big enough to scour the problem area with. A little elbow grease and instant, chemical free results! It is abrasive but does not scratch the porcelain. Hope it works for you. I just googled it again. She also said to lower the water level and apply barkeeper's friend scouring powder. I have used lots of her tips and never been disappointed.
Respected Contributor

You need to buy a pumice stone at Walmart. It takes a little elbow grease though.

DH uses muradic sp? acid. He buys it at a farm and home type store. I don't like to use it, but he does. You pour it in the toilet, shut the door and leave the area for a while, the longer the better. Go in and flush. Don't mix the acid with anything else! It cleans it up like new. I don't think it's safe, but he is alive to tell about it.

Super Contributor

Please don't put harsh chemicals into the system.

Dump a bucket of water into the bowl so it flushes without refilling. When the bowl is dry use some pumice to erase the line. I've also had luck with Mr Clean Magic Eraser if the rings aren't too bad, and if the bowl is dry Barkeeper's Friend also should whisk those rings right away.

Super Contributor
Best Seller
QVC Price:$22.00

This stuff works. Watch the video. We have the hardest water in the world and after using the pumice and elbow grease originally, this has kept our toilets sparkling white. Amazing product.
Esteemed Contributor

I use a pumice stone. For a long time I thought it was just a stain until I got brave and felt the sides of the bowl one day. It was gritty. Now I carefully use a pumice stone around the troubled area until it feels smooth.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein