Esteemed Contributor

Christmas Plate on Valerie's Set - Bargello Pattern - Discounted

There was a thread a while back asking for help identifying and locating the plates that Valerie used on her set. Fellow posters found them. Here is that thread:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/for-the-home-talk/topic/479272/valeries-christmas-dishes.aspx

Here is the plate:

Photo: My friend Cathy Smith will be visiting with Jennifer Coffey QVC during the Christmas Shoppe at 1 am eastern. They will have a few items from our collection to share.

I was searching for something unrelated and saw that the 16 piece dinnerware set is a Doorbuster today at Overstock for $49.99, which I believe is quite a bit less than before.

American Atelier Bargello 16-piece Dinnerware Set

Wayfair has it also.

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Plate on Valerie's Set - Bargello Pattern - Discounted

Hi SHOPR, Unfortunately, the set I bought a few weeks ago from Overstock I had to send back. Every single piece (16, mind you) was c-r-a-p...no joke.

To me, they were pieces that if they were on an assembly line, they would be in the reject pile. Some folks might call them 'seconds'. If the set we received only had one or 2 poor pieces, then I would say go for it, but that wasn't the case.

There were painting errors, peaks on the ceramic that were sharp, and areas missing the top layer of glaze. I would have received a better dinnerware set if they were sold at the dollar store!

I'm guessing, the source from Overstock (a warehouse that is in CA according to the set we got) have a poor supply. I would check out Kohls, or if you by through Wayfair, call and ask where they are being shipped from.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely pattern, however I would rather pay $20 more for a good set...JMO.

Additionally, it was absolutely the worst purchase I EVER made online! I called the CS and told them this and they gave me an additional $10 credit for my next purchase. After that experience, I don't think I will be ordering from there anytime soon {#emotions_dlg.glare}

HTH Smile

Esteemed Contributor

SL, I'm so sorry to hear that yours were all such poor quality. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I wonder if the others who ordered had better luck? I've not found a single review of these other than yours, and thank you for the warning.

I did order a set at the lower price, and it's too late to cancel my order. Overstock's return policy for defective items reads like it's pretty straightforward, so I hope I won't have too much hassle returning mine and receiving full credit, if they arrive like yours.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, SL, FYI, I've only ordered a few things from Overstock and they've been stretched out over many years. I've never had any issues with quality, though. This will be my first, I'm afraid.

Honored Contributor

On 12/8/2014 SHOPR said:

SL, I'm so sorry to hear that yours were all such poor quality. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I wonder if the others who ordered had better luck? I've not found a single review of these other than yours, and thank you for the warning.

I did order a set at the lower price, and it's too late to cancel my order. Overstock's return policy for defective items reads like it's pretty straightforward, so I hope I won't have too much hassle returning mine and receiving full credit, if they arrive like yours.

SHOPR, I should have told you about the 1st set we received...they arrived with nearly 75% breakage. The few pieces that remained in one piece were all c-r-a-p too. I guess I didn't think it was necessary to go into all of the insanity, just at least mentioning that they were 'rejects'. To me, they were more then poor quality because it seemed the set was intentionally put together as still 'usable' sets of dinnerware, but the bad pieces. It's as if where they were made, there is no 'real' QC, and even the bad pieces get passed on to be sold...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Forgive me, but I didn't bother with explaining the whole story. With that said, I can say pretty confidently that you have a pretty high chance on getting a poor quality set.

Make sure you look every piece over with a fine tooth comb with good lighting. Turn and look at the pieces from every angle. Some pieces I thought I could salvage failed others tests...

Examples...the mugs had lumpy areas on the inside, when I washed a few, you could easily see large dark areas develop from the ceramic getting wet...hence poor glazing! Check for sloppy paint job around the rim of each piece...and run your fingers over every inch of every piece. I nearly sliced my finger on one plate!!! There were also many areas missing glazing when I held the pieces just right/at an angle under a light. Also, the bottom rim (underside) of all the pieces were unfinished/rough, so they would EASILY scratch any surface they were placed on.

Honestly, the worst purchases EVER!!!

When I called CS the 1st time about the broken set I received, the rep told me she would make sure that they packed the replacement set they send me better...and they did. I was told to just toss the other set in the garbage, which I did. The 2nd set the CS rep arranged for a UPS pick up of the return for the next day. All I had to do was put the order # on the outside of the box adding (I think) it was a letter 'A' at the end and make sure I removed all the stickers.

Funny, in hindsight, I should NEVER have had another set sent to me considering all the pieces from the 1st set that did not break from shipping were bad quality pieces. I guess I wanted to believe it was all a fluke/bad luck that the set was broken and poor quality at the same time. Boy, was I wrong!

What is most upsetting is that even after nearly an hour on the phone with the CS rep about all the issues mentioned, Overstock is still selling them. That really burns me up! And then I think, well, I guess that's no different than the Q. Even when a product has a really bad rating, they will sell the product/s until they are sold out...no matter what...phooey!

When I compare these sets with the BH&G sets I got at WM for 1/3 the cost, the quality of the WM sets were like fine China next to what I received at Overstock for what should have been a exceptional quality set of ceramic dinnerware...HA! What a joke {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Well, again...sorry to be the messenger of bad news, but at least you have a HU of what you could expect. Please post when you get your set Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/8/2014 Susan Louise said:What is most upsetting is that even after nearly an hour on the phone with the CS rep about all the issues mentioned, Overstock is still selling them. That really burns me up! And then I think, well, I guess that's no different than the Q. Even when a product has a really bad rating, they will sell the product/s until they are sold out...no matter what...phooey!

I agree with you that this practice is upsetting. In Q's defense, though, I did notice that the latest CI jar candles have apparently been pulled. I was surprised! Reviews are coming back with lots and lots of cracked wax. Some of mine were cracked, too, and returned, but I was lucky that some were perfect.

http://www.qvc.com/Candle-Impressions-S3-Vintage-Glass-Jar-Candles-w-Gift-Bags-Cottage-Clear.product...

Maybe there's a magic number (percentage) of returns before an item is pulled and investigated.

Again, Thank you for the warning. I will inspect them very carefully and let you know.

Honored Contributor

On 12/8/2014 SHOPR said:
On 12/8/2014 Susan Louise said:What is most upsetting is that even after nearly an hour on the phone with the CS rep about all the issues mentioned, Overstock is still selling them. That really burns me up! And then I think, well, I guess that's no different than the Q. Even when a product has a really bad rating, they will sell the product/s until they are sold out...no matter what...phooey!

I agree with you that this practice is upsetting. In Q's defense, though, I did notice that the latest CI jar candles have apparently been pulled. I was surprised! Reviews are coming back with lots and lots of cracked wax. Some of mine were cracked, too, and returned, but I was lucky that some were perfect.

http://www.qvc.com/Candle-Impressions-S3-Vintage-Glass-Jar-Candles-w-Gift-Bags-Cottage-Clear.product...

Maybe there's a magic number (percentage) of returns before an item is pulled and investigated.

Again, Thank you for the warning. I will inspect them very carefully and let you know.

Was it mentioned somewhere that the item was 'pulled'? They also could have just sold out too.

I remember VPH's TSV votives...sooo many poor quality sets and they were never pulled...even after several customers let VPH know of the extremely poor quality...she continued to present them (she herself probably had no choice though).

Oh, just so many other poor quality items on the Q . I remember a small handheld vacuum cleaner I bought and it had a LOT of problems...it was never pulled.

I guess in situations like that, the Q and other companies rely upon those who just won't bother to return the items and they try and sell as many as they can to keep their losses to a minimum.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/8/2014 Susan Louise said:

Was it mentioned somewhere that the item was 'pulled'? They also could have just sold out too.

I remember VPH's TSV votives...sooo many poor quality sets and they were never pulled...even after several customers let VPH know of the extremely poor quality...she continued to present them (she herself probably had no choice though).

Oh, just so many other poor quality items on the Q . I remember a small handheld vacuum cleaner I bought and it had a LOT of problems...it was never pulled.

I guess in situations like that, the Q and other companies rely upon those who just won't bother to return the items and they try and sell as many as they can to keep their losses to a minimum.

There is no mention that I am aware of that they were pulled, and I could be wrong in guessing that they were. I figured that is what happened since in the last video presentation, there is no mention of limited quantities in any of the colors. Usually, if they are limited, the hosts will go on and on about it. Again, just guessing that they either pulled them to investigate all the reviews and returns, or maybe to fulfill a ton of exchange requests.

Honored Contributor

My three sets from Overstock were terrible, too! {#emotions_dlg.sad} Paint on the red edges was missing in places, and there were raised dots in the glaze on the plates -- looked really bad. I found the Overstock return process very easy, and they were quick to refund my credit card. I can see why Overstock has reduced the price. Maybe some sets will be better than others...good luck to those who ordered them...at least the price has been lowered!

Esteemed Contributor

All three sets were terrible? Oh no, my chances of getting a good set are certainly not good. So sorry to hear that, Edith. Thanks for the update, though.