Honored Contributor

Now I understand the purpose of Christmas in July!

I'm getting out the winter/Christmas decor/dishes/bakeware, and now I get it.

I had more than two people needed last year at this time. But, it was packed away for months and they showed such pretty new stuff on CIJ. I bought it, now I'm trying to get it all out and display/use it.

It's really an art. Trying to store it, unpack it, display it, and (oh heaven forbid) pack it back up again in 6 weeks or so.

Now I get it. They hit us in July when we've forgotten the work, what we really have, and are looking for something to beat the summer heat.

If they waited till November to start selling Christmas, we'd all laugh at them and say "Hey I have plenty".

I'm holding all of you to task, to remind me next July, that I NEED NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

(I am having fun doing it, but geesh, somebody stop me!)

Honored Contributor

Re: Now I understand the purpose of Christmas in July!

I texted my best gf who just relocated to FL and told her gf don't buy a thing! I purged last year BUT of course I bought a ""few"" new things & completely forgot about them! In addition I donated my large entertainment unit which I used to decorate -- more excess goodies for her! I'm so glad I took pics and packed them in my boxes so I knew how I decorated last year as it was the 1st year in the house. But one thing I have to say things from years past I've bought that were unique from Q I still use today - who remembers those bubble Christmas trees?
Esteemed Contributor

You may want to try this: When you put away your Christmas items, jot down what you have as you're putting things away. In addition, write down what you wish you had had and put that list in your 2015 calendar on the month of July. I kind of do that in the Fall as well to remind me what I want to do or buy for my gardens come spring. I always think I will remember, and of course, I don't. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I know what you mean. I'm pretty good about remembering what I have, but I'm fast reaching my saturation point for Christmas decor. What I need to do is make sure that I sell some of the items that I know I won't use again as they've been replaced with something that I like better.

Honored Contributor

Before I ever knew about QVC I was/have always been guilty of misplacing things/especially Christmas presents.

It has always been a joke in my family when I (or my late husband or daughters) would come to me and say, "Let me guess, Merry Christmas"?

Yepper, I have astonished even myself at how good I am/was at hiding things.

Now I live alone and am a widow. I still misplace some things (so I can't blame QVC or HSN). My problem is trying to remember if it was something I bought during "Christmas in July" (a garment) and thus being able to send it back.

I wish I could blame someone else, but I can't.

Valued Contributor

QVC knows what they are doing, that is why I had to learn...don't charge any item immediately...do all orders as check orders.

YOU would be surprised how many items you don't buy...after a few days...and after reading reviews....and also realizing...do I really need this item.

Honored Contributor

On 11/28/2014 twopeas said:

You may want to try this: When you put away your Christmas items, jot down what you have as you're putting things away. In addition, write down what you wish you had had and put that list in your 2015 calendar on the month of July. I kind of do that in the Fall as well to remind me what I want to do or buy for my gardens come spring. I always think I will remember, and of course, I don't. LOL

This is a great idea!

I usually try to take pictures of some of the vignettes I set up, so I remember "how I did it last time" when I really like how something turns out.

I have decor that I've used for 30 years, much of it sentimental and rather expensive. I know I need to thin it out considerably, and that will be a big effort over the next several days.

Honored Contributor

On 11/28/2014 sunshine3215 said:

QVC knows what they are doing, that is why I had to learn...don't charge any item immediately...do all orders as check orders.

YOU would be surprised how many items you don't buy...after a few days...and after reading reviews....and also realizing...do I really need this item.

I use the check hold as a way to get instant gratification for my shopping bug as well.

I let many things sit for 24 hours, and then I realize I don't really need or want them as bad as I did "in the moment".

I have heard rumors they are doing away with taking checks. That will make it harder when things are popular, and you are trying to decide quickly before it sells out. I guess most of the year, you can just cancel the order as they take so long to process. Sometimes I have been able to cancel several days after the order is placed. This time of year they get things moving a littler quicker, so that plan could backfire!

Honored Contributor

That's funny because I too was thinking of this yesterday. I see how fast 5 mos. goes by now. If they didn't start early, aside from the other reasons for selling early, they couldn't get it all out at once. They do some at a time. I go to the dentist every 6 months, and it goes by so fast!!! So that's what made me think of their Christmas in July so they can get it out without an avalanche all at once.

Valued Contributor

HSN eliminated the check order....and every time ....I do a check order...My husband says the same thing....they are eventually going to stop it. I'm praying they don't.