Honored Contributor

We chose laminate instead of vinyl wood plank for my hallway flooring.

I have been saying vinyl only for quite a while but when we went to look the fact is that laminate is essentially the same price and will make a nicer transition in the areas where it meets the carpet and especially the tile floors, so DH wanted laminate instead. We got a nice medium tone wood look that shows nicely against the killen beige walls. It is a hickory which looks more rustic and goes well with our antique furniture.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: We chose laminate instead of vinyl wood plank for my hallway flooring.

Laminates look like 'real' wood and is perfect for high traffic areas! I have it throughout most of my downstairs- even the kitchen! I got the same color wood as my cabinets and it makes my small kitchen look much bigger. I've had it since 2002 and there are a couple spots that need little patches. But it's held up super well over the years, easy to care for - and still looks great.

Honored Contributor

The salesperson said she would order us a spare box so in the future if something needed replaced it could easily be done.

Contributor

good choice! i regret going with vinyl wood look plank flooring in my living room. allure ultra - looks cheap & feels cheap - but a lifetime warranty....

Honored Contributor

The vinyl wood plank is very thin and presents a problem where it is next to ceramic tile or carpet, which is much thicker. So this is a hallway that will touch ceramic tile in 3 places and carpet in 3 places. We were told the transitions would be iffy and not guaranteed.

Honored Contributor

I think you'll like the silence of the laminate.

Honored Contributor

We had laminates put in our last home. It looks wonderful and holds up extremely well. I got to enjoy it for 4 years before we moved. The only problem (for me) was trying to find a product that would clean the floors and leave them looking somewhat shiny. The only product I found was Rejuvinate Spray and I used the Bona Flat mop with microfiber pads. Once I started using this product, I thought the floors looked like real sealed wood. This product is carried at Home Depot but I'm sure other stores must carry it. Anyway, enjoy!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

My housecleaner was happy to hear we were going with laminate. She said as long as I run the vacuum over it or sweep it with a dustmop she will take care of washing it and keeping it shiny. She said if we spill on it I was to wipe it with water and a microfiber mop only.She doesn't like when I do things that she thinks only she should do.

Honored Contributor

On 11/25/2014 happy housewife said:

My housecleaner was happy to hear we were going with laminate. She said as long as I run the vacuum over it or sweep it with a dustmop she will take care of washing it and keeping it shiny. She said if we spill on it I was to wipe it with water and a microfiber mop only.She doesn't like when I do things that she thinks only she should do.

Oh are you lucky! I think you have a gem helping you....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

On 11/25/2014 Q4u said:
On 11/25/2014 happy housewife said:

Oh are you lucky! I think you have a gem helping you....

She is wonderful = treats her customers like friends and our homes like they are her own.