Frequent Contributor

Getting smell out of clothes

My DH received some new clothing from a house with 3 smokers living in it. Needless to say they smell terrible, to me anyway.

If I launder them like I do my other clothes will that take the cigarette smell out of them?

Thanks for any help.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting smell out of clothes

Add some white vinegar to the wash and dry outside in the sunshine.
Valued Contributor

I have used several drops of tea tree oil in the wash to get bad smells out of clothing. Maybe that might work for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Try some Downey unstoppable or some gain crystals.
Super Contributor

Gross. I would have burned it.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot. I have vinegar so I will try that tomorrow. Where do I get tea tree oil if the vinegar doesn't work?

These clothes were his brothers and he passed away this week. I think he would like to keep them.

Trusted Contributor

Pick up a cheap pint of vodka, and make a solution of 1 part vodka and 1 part water in a spray bottle. Put the clothes on hangers and hang everything on your shower rod. Spray everything down before bed, and throw everything in the washing machine the next day. Both the smell of vodka and cigarettes will dissipate over night, and the clothes will be good to go after a standard wash.
Honored Contributor

Both my parents were heavy smokers, and I am sure the clothing reeks of cigarette smoke. I only have to spend half an hour in my moms house, and I feel like I am coated in that smell. From experience, you may have to soak, and wash the items several times to get rid of the odor. A few hours of hanging outside may help, whether it is in direct sun, or if the air is cool and crisp.
Valued Contributor

On 11/21/2014 bettyboop33 said:

Thanks a lot. I have vinegar so I will try that tomorrow. Where do I get tea tree oil if the vinegar doesn't work?

These clothes were his brothers and he passed away this week. I think he would like to keep them.

You can buy the tea tree oil at Walgreens or a health food store

Honored Contributor

A half cup of ammonia in the wash water (do not mix with Clorox)

♥Surface of the Sun♥