Esteemed Contributor
We have a problem.. we just got new carpet and our shark rotator won't go over it. My mom's Dyson wouldn't work on our upstairs carpet either. These vacuums that have automatic adjustments aren't hat they are cracked up to be. Anyone else have these problems with vacuums like the shark and Dyson.
Frequent Contributor

I thought I was the only one with this problem. I can't even push mine any more, my DH does it. I have a Dirt Devil upright with a height adjustment. It works but the adjuster wheel keeps going back to low from the vibration. It was a cheap vacuum so I keep looking for a better one that I can use. Most don't have an adjustment.

I was thinking about a canister that wouldn't be so heavy on the carpet.

Hope someone has an answer for us.

Occasional Contributor

I had the same problem. We went from low pile carpet to a short shag and my Dyson (the animal) would not push on the carpet. I was afraid I was going to ruin it by forcing it across. I called the carpet company and they said to only use a vacuum with a manual adjustable head so my husband bought me a Sanitare Commercial by Electrolux and it does a good job but it doesn't have any attachments. I really miss the attachments so I am going to get another cheaper vacuum for linoleum/hardwood floors and make sure it has attachments to clean corners etc. Wish the carpet dealer had told me all the issues before we bought the carpet. Oh well buyer beware. Gave my Dyson to the daughter.

Respected Contributor
We had the very same problem two weeks ago, new carpet in both bedrooms. Had to buy a new vacuum because the new carpet is so dense and plush. I took a small piece of my carpet with me to vacuum store and tried several. The only one that worked easily and did a good job was a Miele canister. I don't even want to think about the price of that thing. I have never spent that much on a vacuum before! And I'm not crazy about it being a canister type either.
Esteemed Contributor
My mom now has a bissel lift away for the upstairs since the Dyson wouldn't work. It does a great job. I mean I love the shark but it is useless if it won't go over our new carpet.
Frequent Contributor

ccassaday, Does ther Bissell lift away have a pile adjustment on it?

Might work if it isn't too pricey.