Frequent Contributor

Advent/Countdown to Christmas

I've never done an Advent Calendar or Countdown to Christmas with our son. My husband has Cancer and the first week of December he will start his Chemo. We wanted to do something fun for our son and something that will help take his mind off of things. Something small to look forward to each day of December. I've bought neat cardstock tags, envelopes, and such from Michael's to make up for each day's event. It will be kept simple. Everything from a Hershey Bar to watching a Christmas movie. A couple will be outings, a local candy store or to a frozen yogurt shop.

Do any of you do anything like this?

Super Contributor

Re: Advent/Countdown to Christmas

Your Advent calendar plans sound wonderful. We have a similar tradition. Along with the tags and small treats/movies we also include a small ornament to put on a wreath or small tree each day of the month.

Hope your husband's treatment is successful.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advent/Countdown to Christmas

Prayers for your husband. May the season bring him healing. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

For very little ones that couldn't yet understand a calendar we would make a paper chain out of construction paper. Colored papers, glitter, gluestick. One chain link for each day until Christmas day. And the top of the chain we would make something fun and decorative like a bell or a decorated paper plate.

Each day you take off and discard one chain link from the bottom. When you've reached the top of the chain, Merry Christmas!