Super Contributor

Can someone explain how Ebates works. Does it cost anything to join, how do you use it, do you receive a discount at ordering or cash back? Does Wal-Mart have a similar program and can it be used in the Wal-Mart store or just on-line? Do you use these programs and is it good? Thanks for the help!

Respected Contributor

I use extrabux.com instead of ebates. I find that the percentages of cash back are higher than ebates across the board. They often have discount codes, but in terms of cash back, you can withdraw anytime your cash back earned has reached at least $10. I don't buy anything online without going through extrabux. I've earned about $400 in the last 6 months.

Regular Contributor

I use Ebates and Mr.Rebates....I look at each and whichever has the higher percentage for the store I'm using I go through that site. It can only be used online. You go to either site and then click on the store you're shopping (qvc, walmart, lowes, etc). Ebates sends you a check quarterly, Mr. Rebates you request a check. If you are ordering something local, you can order online and do store pick-up.

Super Contributor

Interesting! Thank you for the info. So it doesn't cost anything to "join" these sites, you just go thru their sites to order on-line?

Respected Contributor
I've only used ebates & it's so easy. It costs nothing to join but you can usually get some extra cash if you have a "referral" from a friend. Some sites are low (qvc is only 2.5% back) but most are higher & sometimes ebates doubles the cash back for some sites. So sometimes I get $.89 back. Lol It does add up & it's money back on places I shop at anyway. Kohls, Q, HSN, magazines (magazinepricesearch dot com tells you where to get the cheapest price & then I've gotten 40% back in ebates). I don' t make a lot but I got $57 back last quarter & I have it deposited in PayPal & then I bought some Mac with that (Mac isn't on ebates-bah). Anyways is's a very easy way to get money back if you are shopping online.
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/20/2014 BigOrangeKitty said:

Interesting! Thank you for the info. So it doesn't cost anything to "join" these sites, you just go thru their sites to order on-line?

That is correct.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not tried extrabux, but if the cash back amounts tend to be higher there, perhaps I should.

Whenever I order online, I always check Mr Rebates, Ebates, and ShopDiscover, to see which offers the largest cash back. ShopDiscover (If you have a Discover card, this is located on the website when you log in to your Discover account online) doesn't actually give you cash back directly at first, but gives you cashback bonus funds, which you can then choose to cash out, or you can spend it at places like Amazon and Overstock.

I have often found ShopDiscover to be the best choice, because they offer 10% at a few stores, which I haven't seen at Mr Rebates or Ebates.

Super Contributor

So you would go thru one of these sites to order from QVC instead of going directly to the QVC website?

Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 BigOrangeKitty said:

So you would go thru one of these sites to order from QVC instead of going directly to the QVC website?

I go to the QVC site and put things I want in my cart, then close the window and go to MrRebates.com. From there, you launch the QVC site and shop. The MrRebates site generates a code in the background that tags your completed sale with the rebate about.

Yesterday I got 6% cash back from HSN AND used a MrRebates code for 20% off of a $50 purchase. Worth the extra 30 seconds it takes to launch through their sites.

I use all of the above sites and check to see who is offering the best deals that day. I also have another site that my company has as an employee benefit. Check all the options for the best option. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I love ebates and make a effort to always go through their site when ordering. Over the last few years maybe 4 years I have received almost 2000.00 in checks. I have to shop online for my husband (big and tall) and for me (QVC and other sites) and I figures if I'm going to order online anyway...I might as well get some of the funds back.

For QVC, if I see something on TV I always do a check order, them go back later online through ebates and switch the method of payment and process the order via a credit card. It adds up and is worth it to ME.