Honored Contributor

My Dyson canister vac question

Since we came home from snowbirding we have been cleaning quite a lot. Kinda spring housecleaning in the fall. So my dyson was pretty full and I emptied it and cleaned the canister and the filter last week after we cleaned the carpet. Today I vacuumed and OMG the canister is half full again. It looks like the carpet is shedding the way new carpets do but this one is 4 years old and has been shampooed a couple of times so it should be over that shedding stage. I guess I am worried that this carpet is already wearing out and that what I am seeing in that canister is really my carpet dissolving before my eyes. What is in the canister is exactly the same color as the carpet - not dirty or grey looking. Does anyone else's Dyson really pick up a lot of lint every time you vacuum? It seems to me this is really a lot considering we just shampooed the carpets a few days ago.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Dyson canister vac question

A friend of mine is obsessed with vacuuming; does it every day, because she loves to see the vacuum lines on the carpet. She is experiencing the same thing you have described, and also thinks she is vacuuming her carpet away. She is in her 2nd year in a brand new home; never wears shoes in the house, and has no pets, so her carpets are spotless and have never been cleaned. She also uses a powerful vacuum with a beater bar, which may well be beating her carpet to death, according to the carpet salesman.
Honored Contributor

Re: My Dyson canister vac question

Believe me I do not vacuum every day - more like once or twice a week. More in the last 2 weeks because we have been ""spring"" housecleaning. But that is done now. My housekeeper uses the dyson when she cleans every 2 weeks and she empties the canister before she leaves so I can really see what I am getting up when I run it the next time. My DH said that maybe because we had shampooed the carpet it loosened more fibers than normal. This is not high quality carpet - it is what the builder put in so I don't expect it to last forever - but I was hoping for about 10 years.