Trusted Contributor

Any suggestions for a washer/dryer?

Please help with your suggestions.

I have a 14 year old Kenmore washer and dryer and they are about to go. The dryer is giving me a hard time and I know it is time to replace both. Repairing would probably cost more than the machine is worth at this point. I know because I had this problem a year or two ago. I inquired about fixing and based on the problem they told me about $350-400?? Miraculously the machine fixed itself{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I don't think I will get quite so lucky this time!

Is anyone really happy with their current models? I heard that I should not get a front loader? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Valued Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for a washer/dryer?

well, I purchased a Kenmore elite from sears and I'm not pleased at all, it does not wash the clothes well, and I paid almost 2000.00 with tax, warranty, etc.

Frequent Contributor

I have a Speed Queen washer and dryer, both purchased within the past 6 months. If you are looking for all the bells and whistles, these are not for you. But they are real work horses! There is no extended warranty to buy as they come with a 3 yr warranty on parts and labor. They are not cheap but my clothes have never smelled so clean! Best of all, they are made in the USA! I am very pleased with mine.
Honored Contributor

I have my front loader Samsung washer and dryer for about 4 years now. LOVE THEM! I love the option that it will indicate to me when the washer drum needs cleaning. About every 40 washes it'll tell me to run the ""pure cycle"" which gets rid of all of the gunk and totally prevents any of the past smell issue front loaders were known for. You'll be amazed at how much cleaner your clothes will get with new machines! Have fun!

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

Another vote for a Speed Queen. I had a front loader that was about 4 yrs old. The thing was serviced more often than not. I had had enough. So, I went back to basics. We got a Speed Queen about 2 months ago. I am so very happy we did! No bells and whistles....just washes our clothes when we ask it to. Washes our clothes in about 45 mins. as opposed to hours. If you want the bells and whistles, then the Speed Queen is definitely not for you. If you want a work horse that cleans your clothing then you might consider a Speed Queen! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Contributor

In my primary home I have top of the line High Efficiency machines. In my little vacation home, I have very basic whirlpool machines. The basic washer & dryer are my favorite set. The clothes are cleaner, less lint, less wrinkled and the washer doesn't require specific HE detergent.
Occasional Contributor

We had a gorgeous turquoise Electrolux front load washer and dryer, it was just that , pretty! It did not clean well, and after 5 yrs. I decided to get an LG top loader, it is fantastic! Cleans so well, and has all the bells and whistles! We got both washer and dryer, on sale for 522.00 each. Best purchase ever!!!! Front loader, not good, top loader, is the way to go. In my opinion. Good luck in your search.
Honored Contributor

On 10/31/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:

I just posted on another thread about the Whirlpool top load washer and dryer set we have...it's the least expensive/cost effective set we could find, and it cleans like a charm.

You can't sell me on all the 'hype' about the front loaders.

ITA, basic is best, top loader, I have lots of faith in Whirlpool.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I have the same model of Samsung washer and dryer as ID2. That "pure cycle" pays for itself. I was not a fan of the front models however when I thought about washing the king size bedding I had to rethink my position. It is so much easier on your back, etc. pulling those wet clothes from the washer to the dryer with that front load feature. No one could be more surprised than me that I am very pleased with mine.

Regular Contributor

I sometimes think no one makes a good washer anymore. I have a Maytag top load and it smells terrible. I read online the top loaders now somehow rely on water to keep them lubricated and so they dont totally drain or something and also develop mold and mildew problems behind the drum. The affresh does not thing and I don't want to pay someone hundreds of dollars to clean the washer and have no stationary tub so don't think they could dismantle it and actually get it cleaned again. It started about two years ago when the washer was about two years old. I would like to replace it but don't want a front loader, I don't want one that takes 1.5 hours to do a load of laundry (we have one of those also that does not smell but it takes way too long) and don't know what to buy. If you read reviews of appliances anymore you would never own any Smiley Happy I have pretty much decided if I buy something it will be the cheapest thing I can find. The maytag periodically does not drain, it smells, and was not cheap. If I get a cheap one I will perhaps feel like I got my money's worth from it when it lasts a short amount of time. And the service from Sears when I just bought a refrig was so bad it was like they did not want to make a sale, and then they screwed up the delivery and ice maker. I would not go there at all.