Esteemed Contributor

Lady Beetles From Another Continent

Are you seeing the Asian lady beetle in your home? I am, and though I consider it a small issue, I am curious to know what you know. Everytime I open the French doors the little buggers retreat here.

I've been sweeping them out and vacuuming them up. You?

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

Re: Lady Beetles From Another Continent

Yes!! In addition to the stink bugs, I've been getting the little lady bugs. I've been finding them in various places. I pick them up with a tissue and FLUSH! What a way to go, poor things but I can't have them in the house. docsgirl

Respected Contributor

I've been getting them too - especially when the temperature goes up a bit and the sun is out. I don't know how they get into the house but when they do I just sweep them up with my handheld mini-vacuum and then empty outside.

Honored Contributor

Those Asians must love the French doors.

Valued Contributor

On 10/26/2014 docsgirl said:

Yes!! In addition to the stink bugs, I've been getting the little lady bugs. I've been finding them in various places. I pick them up with a tissue and FLUSH! What a way to go, poor things but I can't have them in the house. docsgirl

Hi Docsgirl~ it's just a suggestion….. I used to flush every little bug or spider I found in the house, but now I open the door and put them outside. I feel sorry for them. I probably should have been born a Buddhist, because I feel they have just as much right to live as me. I just don't want them in my house! Just a friendly suggestion. Smile

Valued Contributor

Rose,

You sound just like my late father. He couldn't bear to kill anything. If there was a spider in the house, my mother would scream 'Kill it, kill it,' but dad would scoop it up and put it outside. He would tell my mom that it was a living creature and deserved to live. After you made your suggestion and I thought about my dear dad, I will never kill again. They will be picked up in a tissue and placed outside. I feel sorry for the poor, innocent little things as they do no harm. Thank you for opening my eyes. docsgirl

Contributor

We have a big problem with them too. I normally vacuum them up and empty bin outside. Last year they were so bad in my basement we had to set off one of those bombs, i hope they do not get that bad this year

Valued Contributor

On 10/26/2014 docsgirl said:

Rose,

You sound just like my late father. He couldn't bear to kill anything. If there was a spider in the house, my mother would scream 'Kill it, kill it,' but dad would scoop it up and put it outside. He would tell my mom that it was a living creature and deserved to live. After you made your suggestion and I thought about my dear dad, I will never kill again. They will be picked up in a tissue and placed outside. I feel sorry for the poor, innocent little things as they do no harm. Thank you for opening my eyes. docsgirl

What a sweet, sweet comment, docsgirl. I don't pretend to know everything, or have the answer to everything. I just love animals, all animals. We all share this world together. You are a dear…...

Honored Contributor

don't kill the ladybugs! they eat aphids and all the other bad bugs in your garden or yard; they are very beneficial.......I don't like killing living things either but I do make 2 exceptions: fire ants and roaches....I kill them as quick as I can!

Honored Contributor

They're here in NW Indiana too, on the outside walls, screens, windows, you name it, and in the house as well! I vacuum, but they come right back. The other day I was in the kitchen and noticed a couple. I went about my business and didn't get back to the kitchen for a a couple of hours, or so. When I returned there was a bunch of dead ones on the floor and I had to pull out the vacuum again.