Frequent Contributor

Suggestions for Christmas Tree Decorations

We have decorated our tree with multi-color lights and traditional ornaments for several years. This year we'd like to do a "nature theme" using clear lights, glass icicles in varied lengths and pinecones wired to the branches. Here's my question: Do you think a few holly berry picks should be added OR would a couple Cardinals perched on the branches be a better choice?

If you've previously decorated your tree in a nature theme, I'd love to hear about it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Suggestions for Christmas Tree Decorations

I think either would be nice. I do one natural tree and I use twisted grapevine that I wrap onto the tree like garland. I push some berry clusters into the spaces and place a few bird's nests with birds onto some of the branches.

Trusted Contributor

Any natural type picks would do nicely. Consider holly..but try ivy. It would give it a different look.

Respected Contributor

You can also insert sprigs of Baby's Breath and dried roses.

Super Contributor

I like the idea of the cardinals.

Valued Contributor

I do a Woodland/Bird themed tree in our dining room because it opens on to our deck and backyard where we can easily see all of our birds and birdfeeders. I have found some 4-5" wooden (realistic looking) bird ornaments at our garden nursery and at Wildbirds Unlimited. I have Cardinal ornaments but also Chickadee's, Goldfinch, Bluejay, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Nuthatch...etc. I use some burlap type ribbon too. I put these ornaments from Pier One on as well

Rattan Star Ornament

Respected Contributor

I think both would be pretty ! My favorite is a woodland theme tree also....I love the look of adding bare twig branches , some sprayed here and there with faux snow and white glitter
Honored Contributor

I would do both, and sparingly and well spaced. It sounds like it will be lovely. Please post a picture when you get it done.

Super Contributor

Don't forget your Christmas Spider -- it's a charming legend

http://www.meadowtreasures.com/christmaslegend.htm

Valued Contributor

While I've not done a total nature-themed tree, I have added birds and such to my tree and I think it always looks lovely. My MIL has done this with primarily white ornaments and touches and it looks very ethereal and pretty.