Honored Contributor

How much of your house do you decorate for the holidays?

Some people don't decorate at all, some do EVERY room in the house.

I have been on both ends of the scale, depending on circumstances at the time. Some years the seasonal decor has been very light, like the year we moved in here, and no one was going to be here for Christmas, and other years, everything including the bathroom had some little piece of Christmas in it. Now that my kid is older, I find myself doing less rooms. No more in the bath, none in the bedrooms. Now pretty much limited to living room, dining room, kitchen, and family room. I do the front porch, but nothing else outside. A couple of wreaths on the entry doors.

I love the look when it's done, but I'm enjoying the work of getting out and putting away less every year. Trying to move more toward "winter" decor, and less for "Christmas", but not there yet. I have one closet in a spare room (and our closets are rather small) for Christmas decor, and it is out of control. Some things are going to have to go this year, no matter what.

How much of your house do you decorate? Has that changed one way or the other over the years?

Respected Contributor

Re: How much of your house do you decorate for the holidays?

My front door, two light fixtures outside the front door, foyer, living room, stair case, kitchen, and my bedroom. I have cut back on the amount of decorations I put out.

Honored Contributor

When my girls were home, when we had our big house; I decorated just about the entire house. I'm not into Santas and jingle bells but I had a color theme and I decorated with greenery, garlands, poinsettas (silk, since we have a cat). Almost every room had a little touch of Christmas. And I always had three full size trees. The biggest in the living room, a tree in the family room and a tree in the upstairs hallway. We downsized to a 2 bedroom condo several years ago and the girls are off on their own. We don't have as many people in as we did in the past and I fell into the habit of just decorating the living room. However, we turned our guest room into a family room and this year I plan to do more decorating. And I want a small tree in our bedroom. I plan to do some very tasteful, sophisticated decorating throughout the house.

Super Contributor

None ... just not my thing.

One of my aunts had a friend who changed her decor with the seasons - lovely to see.

Honored Contributor

I don't decorate for Christmas at all because I spend 2 weeks of December out of town visiting my family. I help my mom decorate the family home when I get there.

Valued Contributor

Mantle, front hall, front door, dining and living rooms, occasional cute things in the kitchen, but that's about it.

Esteemed Contributor

A lot less than I used to! I hosted Christmas at my home for 25 years and went all out. Now DSs are in their 20's and I have less motivation to decorate. I do some outdoor lighting, a big tree in the LR along with a creche and a few other items, mantle and some decor in the family room and entry hall and that's about it, DS #2 puts out some of his large collection of nutcrackers, his brother has not displayed his in a couple of years.

Honored Contributor

I put up 2 trees. I decorate the mantle and the front hall. I have wreaths hanging in the kitchen. I have churches that I have collected over the years that I set up on the piano.

I have a few other touches here and there. I don't decorate the bathrooms. I do put up a tree in my kids' bedrooms.

It's enough to give the house a holiday feel without going overboard.

Valued Contributor

I decorate the whole shebang! My family comes to my house from out of town and I do the best I can to make it warm, inviting, and festive.

Even if they didn't come, I think I would do it for myself. I love the twinkling lights and the beautiful decor. Christmas is my favorite! Smile

Contributor

I don't do as much now than I did when my kids were home. Do decorate living room some for the grandkids to enjoy. My favorite thing is table scapes. I love to play with those!!!!!