Honored Contributor

What is it about "Gingerbread" decor that attracts you.

I have to say, I am not really a fan of gingerbread decor, but I do have a couple of primitive/country looking gingerbread men that I hang up at Christmas time (they are about ornament size).

Gingy decor is so popular I was wondering that for those of you that love it, what attracts you? Does it bring out the child in you, remind you of when you were little? Do you just like whimsy? Is it all the colors? I will admit, it makes me think of innocence, childhood (not at all bad things to think about!!), and I like that it isn't exactly Christmas and can be left up through the winter (always looking for things that aren't just "Christmasy").

So, please weigh in, what is it about gingerbread decor that you like?

Super Contributor

Re: What is it about ""Gingerbread"" decor that attracts you.

what is it about gingerbread decor that i like?

not one.single.thing

Honored Contributor

I make gingerbread men and hang them on the tree some years. But I don't think that's what you meant by gingerbread decor.

Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 ValuSkr said:

I make gingerbread men and hang them on the tree some years. But I don't think that's what you meant by gingerbread decor.

Yeah! Even that counts. I'm from the school of a couple of gingerbread men or ornaments is enough! Others like entire collections of them. I was wondering what makes people like the large amounts they collect, as well as glad to see others that just mix them in or don't like them at all (and for what reasons).

Respected Contributor

I only have a couple of pieces of "gingerbread" and they only come out at Christmas. I like the whimsy of it, but don't want all of my holiday decor to be gingerbread. I also use Santas, angels, nutcrackers, etc.

I could never do a "theme" for Christmas...like to mix it up!

Super Contributor

couple years ago got (I thin Valarie) the big footed gingers. was not pleased. a bit too catchy. donated the whole family. however, I do like gingerbread deco

Super Contributor

Gingerbread Christmas décor reminds me of the times we made gingerbread houses, both when I was a child and when my son was younger.

The smell of the gingerbread baking ... the Necco wafers (some of which went on the house and some got eaten), licking the frosting off the cookie sheet. Yep ... good memories.

So, yes, I guess it reminds me of childhood. Innocence ... anticipation ... sweets ... and some whimsy.

Like vermint, I have some gingerbread pieces, mostly in the kitchen. Other displays are more elegant, or more woodland, or more religious .... there are so many ways to celebrate the season IMHO.

Regular Contributor

I like the gingerbread decor. Each year we decorate a gingerbread house and I enjoy displaying it and after the season, not storing it. I like to make applesauce ornaments for the smell and it has a gingerbread look.

I enjoy Christmas decor and add a few pieces each year, but I'm at the point to add something means I have to get rid of something.

Esteemed Contributor

These started my small assortment of gingerbread items.

Vintage Frost Set of 3 Gingerbread Family by Valerie

I just couldn't resist their cuteness, plain and simple.

Of course, naturally I had to buy a few trees and houses to accompany them.

I think I'm done, though. What I have is enough. Like others, I don't want to commit an entire room or area to just gingerbread stuff, because I like other unrelated things too much.

Honored Contributor

I just have always loved gingerbread decor. When DD was young, we would make huge gingerbread shaped cookies, she would decorate them, and then distribute them at school, etc. I have a large collection, Annalee dolls, houses, ornaments, candle warmers and holders, Valerie's gingerbread lamps and flameless candles, and decorate the kitchen during Christmas.