Frequent Contributor

HELP from anyone with a Shark Steam Cleaner

I purchased a Shark Steam Cleaner at a garage sale recently and it did not have the book with it. If you own one, would you please tell me how long you wait for the water to heat before applying to the floor?

Also, do you start with cold water from the tap?

Thanks for your help.

Any other helpful hints about the cleaner would also be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP from anyone with a Shark Steam Cleaner

I don't own a Sharp; however, we have discovered that you can often download manuals for various products. My dh has done that twice just recently. You may want to try the internet. Good luck.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I usually wait about a minute or 2 to start using the steamer. It'll start to "sputter" and that's when I know it's ready. I use cold water to fill the machine. You may even want to call Sharp, 1-800-798-7398, and ask if they could send you a manual. Web site is www.sharkclean.com. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I own a Dirt Devil steamer; it has a light on the front that turns green when the water has reached steam temperature, but you can tell when it's almost there, as you hear and see the steam hissing from the bottom. I just turn on the spigot, fill my measuring cup with water, and fill the steamer. I don't pay attention to water temperature, since it has to reach a designated temperature inside the appliance anyway.
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I did try to find a booklet on line but unsuccessful - but may try it again.

I kept waiting for "some noise" but didn't happen. Also - no light to indicate "go".

Again, thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

I hate to say this, but you might have a broken unit. Fill it up, tighten the cap as far as it will go, plug it in and wait. If it doesn't make any noise after 10 or 15 minutes, push the button that emits the steam. If you don't get steam, its broken.

Contributor

I just bought my son one.

You have to pump the handle a few times to get the pad wet then it starts steaming.

Respected Contributor

I have a Shark steam cleaner. I fill the container with cold water out of the tap and then plug it in and wait a couple minutes. I have to pump the handle every so often to keep it steaming.

Honored Contributor

I OWN 3 of them.

One I wore out from daily use, one the handle broke in half. the 3rd one which I am on now is doing OK

The steam comes after 30 seconds of heat up time after plugging in.

Trusted Contributor

If your unit doesnt produce steam it could be clogged. You can try to purge the calcium deposits with a mix of white vinegar and distilled water or clr and water. Sit it in a tub plugged in and wait a wihile to see if it produces steam. I hope you have good luck, i love my shark. Always use distilled water, the manual suggests the same. It will be less likely to plug up in the future. You tube has some good videos wiyh some helpful hints too.