Honored Contributor

Do you like to vary the style of your decor, or do you decorate...

the same throughout your home?

By this, I guess I mean, in general, do you stick to say one type of decor (like Victorian, contemporary, country, modern etc.) throughout your entire house, or do you mix it up a little?

The same with color schemes. Do you use the same color palate throughout, or do different rooms have different colors?

I have to say that with colors especially, I vary. I have one bedroom (spare) that is done in rose/mauve's, one that is now tans and browns, and the master is greens and dark burgundy.

As far as style, some of the rooms vary as well. If I had to classify my living room and dining room, I'd have to say antiques with a very slight Victorian accent, but the family room is more country.

I chose to vary, because I always see different kinds of furniture and decor that I love, and with a varied house, I can incorporate most anything I see that I like somewhere in the house.

That said, I do love when someone does a whole house in a pleasing and matching color palate with a consistent style of furniture and decor. It usually looks so streamlined and upscale to me.

What do you choose for your home?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like to vary the style of your decor, or do you decorate...

I'd say my style is mainly country/log cabin/traditional...

For our small home, during the holidays and changes of season decor, I only decorate the livingroom throughout and one vignette in the kitchen...that's it.

I decorate by what makes myself and DH happy. For example, last year I incorporated a 3' fiber optic tree for DH. His grandparents had recently passed at the time and it serves as a wonderful memory for him. I love the tree too...mainly because I love vintage flair.

We also are avid birders/enthusiasts, so I also LOVE anything related to birds and try to have a sense of nature incorporated somehow...and try and find a way to have all the vignettes in the livingroom to be at least somewhat cohesive. I decorated with a lot of owls and foxes last year too.

I also love plaid and burlap. The decorations on our tree is an eclectic mixture of LR MG birds, some of my parents ornaments, ornaments DH and I picked out at Yellowstone National Park, ones I bought even before DH and I got married, etc. However, it all seems to work together

I think the best suggestion I can have for you is to just surround yourself by things that make you and your family happy...everything else will fall into place Smile

Trusted Contributor

Mine varies. It's anywhere from country, shabby, primitive, traditional, retro, vintage. I would say my style is eclectic.

Super Contributor

My style is a blend of traditional with touches of whimsy and elegance. I feel joy in everything I do and I am not influenced by anything that doesn't make me smile. I mix colors and decor. I want to share my great room with pictures of my great room in a few days.
Honored Contributor

I have the same color palette throughout the first floor - browns, beige, blues, greens. My furniture is contemporary - think Pottery Barn or Ballard. It pleases me. But the best part is there isn't an over abundance of accessories and knick knacks. It's clean and streamlined, but still homey.

I let my kids pick out their own colors and accessories. Their bedroom sets are white, so it's easy to change out bedding, paint, and accessories.

My bedroom is grays and blues with dark furniture. It feels like a hotel room - LOL

Honored Contributor

Every room is different in style and color; I am all about color, particularly red. I go strictly with what I like, and what is comfortable for my family. When we have visitors, I want them to see that a family proudly, and comfortably lives in this house.
Super Contributor

On 10/20/2014 brii said:

I have the same color palette throughout the first floor - browns, beige, blues, greens. My furniture is contemporary - think Pottery Barn or Ballard. It pleases me. But the best part is there isn't an over abundance of accessories and knick knacks. It's clean and streamlined, but still homey.

I let my kids pick out their own colors and accessories. Their bedroom sets are white, so it's easy to change out bedding, paint, and accessories.

My bedroom is grays and blues with dark furniture. It feels like a hotel room - LOL

'Fess up, brii, you have the inside of one closet door painted fire engine red, don't you? lol

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 reese2 said:
On 10/20/2014 brii said:

'Fess up, brii, you have the inside of one closet door painted fire engine red, don't you? lol

LOL

I promise you there is not one red door in my house. That is probably one color that I just don't like.

I can tolerate it for Christmas. I tend to use copper, bronze, and green more than traditional red and green.

Super Contributor

I have 2 rooms that I update every 6 mths. The rest of my home is not used anymore. I have a 3 story and i get to the second floor by elevator.

I have however had it redecorated at least every 5 years or so.The past 8 years I have not enjoyed it as much. I do get inspired in decor at times.

Trusted Contributor

Mine is VERY eclectic. I purchase things I like and it doesn't matter to me what "style" they are or if it goes with anything else. So everywhere I look in my townhome, I see pictures and furniture that I love. I have pictures of cottages (Kinkade pieces), pics of trees, pictures of Caribbean and/or ocean scenes..........you get the idea. Nothing matches, but I love them all and love looking at them.