Respected Contributor

Any Furnace Experts Out There???

We have a gas furnace with the intake/out-take pipes on the outside of the house about 2 feet from the ground. The problem exists in the winter when it snows. If these pipes get clogged with the snow, the furnace will shut down. When there is a heavy storm, which happens quite often in the northeast, it's a real PITA having to outside to clear these pipes. We have to trudge thru the snow the entire front of the house and half-way to the side where the pipes are located. No kids in our neighborhood because it's a 55+ community. Our community has people clearing the snow from driveways and walkways, but they are not contracted to clear these pipes. Our furnace guy "suggested" going thru the inside of the master closet to bring the pipe higher. That was his only suggestion and we don't care for this idea of having to rip thru floors, carpeting and sheetrock. We've been told it's not as easy as just extending the pipes or we would have had this done. I'm wondering if any of you have had this problem and how you remedied it. Everything has to be legal and safe since we're dealing with gas and carbon monoxide -- think that's what it is.

Maybe there's a furnace guy/gal who reads this and has some suggestions.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any Furnace Experts Out There???

Your issue is interesting. We are in the northeast also. Our intake/out take pipes exit outside our house from our basement, but are a good 4-5 feet above the ground. I know when we asked about applying a screen over them to prevent birds or bugs coming in, we were told we could not hinder the flow in any manner.

Since you live in a 55+ community, are there any other homes similar to yours? If there are, I wouldn't hesitate to knock on their door. In the meantime, I would call different furnace installers and ask them about possible solutions. Hopefully they would be willing to discuss on the phone without coming to the house, cause you know if they come and look they will charge you.

I'll keep your post in mind and ask some of my innovative family members.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of this and have always lived in houses with gas heat. All my pipes are on the roof and nothing ever gets clogged except the satellite dish.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I know that can be a huge problem. How about some time of shelter over the pipes and out a ways to prevent the snow from piling up right by the vent?

Contributor

There are safety guidelines that must be followed when venting gas appliances. Check with your local building inspector to see if a permit was required to make the installation of your furnace. If the venting doesn't meet the safety code requirements (and it sounds like it doesn't) the Building Inspector has the right to make the contractor re-do the work at his own expense.

The Building Inspector can also tell you what the regulations are for the venting.

If all else fails check your furnace to see if there are any stickers showing the name of the company that sold/installed the furnace and venting and contact them directly.

Please make sure you take care of this unsafe situation before the snow flies. Good Luck

Respected Contributor

It sounds like you are talking about a gas hot air furnace that is power vented out the side of a building that has no chimney. I have the same issue with high snows blocking the exhaust pipes (hot water heater, too). The safety features shut down the systems if they detect an issue.

There isn't an easy solution. If the snow doesn't fall too heavily, the heat of the exhaust melts the snow, but if the wind is blowing strongly and right into the vent, the snow can build up. I make sure to go out and remove snow from the area myself. In my case it's not hard to reach and I have to go out anyway to walk the dog regardless of the weather. I also have a clothes dryer vent in the same area and I have to make sure that doesn't get snow covered, too. I have shielded the vents with a piece of plywood (like a lean-to) with the sides open so as not to hinder airflow and this has worked but it does require vigilance.

Have you asked your Community Manager about this problem? What do others in your development do to take care of this issue?

Super Contributor

Why are their no children ? A 55 year old neighborhood ? What is it Sun City ?

I cannot be around gas as It smothers me. Maybe get some heaters on Q ? cAN YOU GET HOT WATER WITHOUT GAS ?

Super Contributor

you have interesting issue..

Honored Contributor

Wow OP how long have you lived there? This would NEVER pass inspection! You need to get this fixed pronto!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/20/2014 ID2 said:

Wow OP how long have you lived there? This would NEVER pass inspection! You need to get this fixed pronto!

This passes code. A better solution would have cost a builder additional construction costs. it would have increased the price of the homes. Please check with your HOA.