Valued Contributor

Question for Those Having Pergo or Other Top of the Line Laminate

We're seriously thinking about getting most of our house done with either top of the line Pergo or Armstrong laminate, which I've been seeing at Lowe's and having them install. What I'd like to know from those of you that are experienced is what your advice is and if you have a particular brand that you love. I want something kind of mid-range in color with some grain and variances so that it looks like real wood flooring. I've been looking at a walnut, mahogany and cherry. All are the ones with the backing and top of the line. We have wanted wood floors for a while but kind of decided against them due to cost and the fact that we have a very active household with two kids and two dogs. Any advice is appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Those Having Pergo or Other Top of the Line Laminate

When you look at the sample colors........just remember that it will be magnified 1,000 times when you have a room full of it. I picked a color called "hicory", which I thought was a medium neutral shade. It turned out darker than I expected, and was a little hard to get used to after having off-white carpeting. Of course, I love it now........but the size of the room does make a difference in the impact.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I have Armstrong in Williamsburg Cherry and I really like it. I was afraid it would look too reddish, but it doesn't and it still looks as good today as it did 7 years go when it was installed.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

Is it more durable than wood?
Respected Contributor

How does Pergo hold up for pet accidents?

Regular Contributor

I have had Pergo for about 4 years. Even with 4 cats who are not declawed, it has held up beautifully. Pet accidents wipe up easily. My only regret is putting it in the kitchen... my hubby is too messy in the kitchen. I do not have it in the bathroom. So easy to care for and still looks beautiful. It has also held up well under the wear and tear of my grandchildren.

Trusted Contributor

When we bought our house, 17 years ago, there was Pergo in the kitchen. It was about 5 years old and lasted another 10 years. My dog must have run through that kitchen a million times, and it never scratched. However, it did chip if I dropped something sharp or heavy. But, it was also older "technology" and I would think that they've improved it over time.

Because we had a dog and cat at the time, we replaced 75% of the carpet in our house with an Armstrong laminate that looked almost identical to the Pergo in the kitchen. We put it in the foyer, hallway, and two bedrooms. It was called Montpelier Maple...just for reference. It has been down about 12 years and I've not been happy with it at all. My dog threw up once, over night, and it raised the surface a little. It hasn't scratched too badly with the pets, but it tends to chip very easily. Our dear dog passed away last week, and we just have our older cat left. When she is no longer with us, I'm getting rid of the Armstrong laminate and going with wood.

In our kitchen and hearth room, we put down a Mannington laminate product that looks exactly like stone tile...most people have to touch it to tell it's laminate. This has been my favorite product. It cleans well. Has never chipped. And, holds up to spills that can't be wiped up as soon as they happen. IMO, it's perfect for pets. My suggestion would be to check out the Mannington line.

We went with a local flooring store for our Mannington. We had several flooring products put down by Lowe's over the years and had nothing but problems. I've come to the conclusion that if you have a local business that has good reviews, it's better to spend a few more dollars and get the customer service that you won't get from Lowe's...without a major headache.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I have oak laminate in my living room and all bedrooms, and absolutely love this type of flooring. My recommendation is that you buy all of the flooring you will need at the same time, or you may be faced with not being able to find the same color later on. We replaced our flooring in two phases, so we bought all of the bedroom flooring at the same time so it would match. Several years later when we replaced the living room and hallway flooring, the oak color is slightly different, as well as plank width being wider. I like the difference, but if it is important to you that all the flooring be the same, you need to purchase all of it at the same time.
Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 patticakes said: Is it more durable than wood?

i dont know, but i have wood flooring all throughout my home( except for the bathrooms) and it has held up beautifully, even in my kitchen! it is even under the floors that have wall to wall carpeting.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

I had Pergo in my home for about 16 years. We put it in our entry and powder room first, after about eight years we connected to our family room. The color matched perfectly just like we had done it all together. We have raised two daughters and two indoor dogs, one big one little with no problems. We do have a small hole where a leg came off the sofa and an exposed screw gauged the floor. Other than the hole which is understandable, the floor has held up beautifully and we couldn't be happier. It looks just as nice today as it did the day we put it in. I clean it with Swiffer Sweeper Cloths and Wet Mops with no Problems.