Honored Contributor

Another downside of snowbirding...

In the spring when we get to our camp in Pa. things are pretty dusty and there is a lot to do - unpacking and cleaning and DH has a ton of yard work. The campground will do the outside work for a fee but we are always frugal so we do it ourselves. OK - I would spring house clean every year anyway , no big deal. But then comes fall and we get back to our home in Fl. and it all starts again. Major spring(oops, fall) cleaning AGAIN. We have a list a mile long of projects to do - we have been home a week already and every day is another major project. I keep putting stuff in the guest room because I don't know what to do with it and that room is looking like a hoarders house. My housekeeper is starting for the season on Nov 7th so I hope to have all these projects finished so she can do her thing and get the house all shined up. Today we moved all the kitchen appliances to clean behind them - still have to pull out the washer and dryer to clean behind them and the living, dining room and bedroom furniture. I have cleaned out every drawer cupboard and cabinet in the house all week, including my closet. It's so nice to open a cupboard to put something away and there is plenty of room to do so.We also still have to clean the lanai screens and furniture. It feels like an awful lot still to do and we are getting very tired. DH was just saying he wonders how many more years we will be able to do all this ourselves.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Another downside of snowbirding...

On 10/18/2014 ical said:

Why don't you have a private jet? That'd help you out. You could fly back and forth and sleep while doing so. Maybe you could even type from up there and tell us when Santa's coming! Wow!

So, I really don't get this comment. How does it relate in any way to the OP?

Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 debcakes said:
On 10/18/2014 ical said:

Why don't you have a private jet? That'd help you out. You could fly back and forth and sleep while doing so. Maybe you could even type from up there and tell us when Santa's coming! Wow!

So, I really don't get this comment. How does it relate in any way to the OP?

Less stress. If you're going to have two places to live which are at a great distance, and the title is even called "snow birding", then one must do what birds do. Fly…or complain.

Respected Contributor

ical you might think your comment was funny it wasn't, go play with your toys. the lady was just saying it is a lot of work to have two places even if you enjoy them both.

Honored Contributor

I fail to see how flying vs driving negates the physical work the OP describes, which is what is making her tired. She made no mention of her trip or the effect it had on her tasks.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Cleaning behind the appliances....I don't think I've ever done that! Maybe hiring someone to deep clean for the day....then have your housekeeper do her daily/weekly thing. People either have time or money. The older I get, the move $$ I allocate...I just don't have the time anymore! Happy snowbirding!

Honored Contributor

If it's such a hassle, don't do it. Make a choice, live in PA or in FL year round. Or hire a cleaning company for big house cleaning jobs. It sounds like it's bad only because you make it hard.
Honored Contributor

I think ical was just noting the irony of someone complaining about having two homes. It's a first world problem.

Respected Contributor

I pull my appliances out all the time to clean under them especially my stove and refrigerator. When we got this new refrigerator the sales people told us to move it out twice a year and clean behind it. told them have been doing that for 54 years.

Trusted Contributor

The OP has a modest home in Florida and a camper for the summer in PA. She isn't bragging at all, jeez! Ical, I'm not on here often anymore but when I am I always notice your name against a nasty, snarky or mean post. Maybe you should relax and take a nap or something.