Respected Contributor

Horrible surprise when I removed the softener cup in my washer...

After finishing the laundry today, I noticed some gelled fabric softener in the plastic cup dispenser atop the agitator. I twisted it and it came out: what gunk was on the bottom. Took it to the kitchen sink and ran really hot water into the bottom inside section. For 5 minutes, bits small and large came out: thickened fabric softener. Soaked the whole cup in super hot water for another 5 minutes and with the spray attachment going into the inside area, continued to get more stuff out. Wow, who knew this was there: kept wondering just how much of the thickened softener gets onto my towels and microfiber cloths! Ran the washer empty with hot water for one cycle to get anything else out before doing another regular load. Can't believe this happened because I always thin down the softener! H T H others.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

Re: Horrible surprise when I removed the softener cup in my washer...

I never use fabric softener. Everything comes out soft without it.
Trusted Contributor

I do not use fabric softener either. You should not use softener on your towels. It will put a coating on them and they will not be absorbent.
Esteemed Contributor

I also stopped using fabric softener --- can't tell the difference. I was told by a washing machine repairman to run the cycle, adding 3 teaspoons of vinegar. Afterward, I take a cloth and wipe out the tub and agitator (inside the cap). I do this monthly. If u have an HE washing machine, gunk builds up in the cap of the agitator. I also started to put vinegar on a cloth to wipe out my dryer. This would result in ur not getting stains on clothes/bedding. That's what happened to me.

Respected Contributor

I DON ' T use softener on my towels or microfiber cloths: I wondered how much of the gelled stuff liquefied during their wash. Will try the vinegar approach when this softener bottle is done. Don't have an HE washer.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

I, too, do not use fabric softener. The scent makes my eyes water and my nose run. Not a pretty site.{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

About once a month I run a packet of Tide washing machine cleaner through the machine with hot water. I but it at Target.

Super Contributor

Yuk, fabric softener is even suggested by many manufacturers not to be used in their equipment. It ruins more clothes, towels, and sheets than it helps. Won't use it in my washer either.

Respected Contributor

I don't use it anymore.I use vinegar..in my fabric softener holding area.....soft clothes,no buildup,no static cheap!!!! It's a good idea to take your dryer lint screen and soak it in hot water and vinegar.It's usually full if fabric softener buildup too.
Respected Contributor

I discovered the gunk in my washer about 5 years ago and stopped using softener then. I too, use vinegar .... makes a big difference.

Frequent Contributor

I too use vinegar instead of softener! I have not used softener for 20 years! I have front load machines in my home & vacation home & they never have an odor! Clothes & towels come out fresh with no build-up! I buy vinegar 4 gallons at a time from Costco or Sam's - I am never without it & use it for a multi-tude of tasks!