Honored Contributor

We arrived home from our snowbird summer yesterday PM. We were very tired and just did the minimum unpacking to get through the night. So - today we unpacked our car and put everything away. Box after box after box - 6 large boxes. Then I had to grocery shop as the pantry and fridge were empty. $285 later I have just finished putting away the grocery order. OMG , the cart had gotten so heavy I could barely push it around the store any further. It is nice to see the fridge and pantry full though. We are always nervous as we get close to home that we could find some disaster or another here(despite that we have a condo watch service who checks in every few weeks while we are away). What we did find was a large WELCOME HOME poster and a gorgeous purple mum in front of the garage door from a dear friend who stays here all year. I saved the poster and will reuse it for some friends as they return. No reason to waste it. It was such a cheerful thing to come home to.

I got a weather alert on my phone for where we stay in pa - frost warning. EWWW. It is 90 and partly cloudy here in SW Fl.

We had stayed up north a bit longer than normal because DH had an appt with an eye surgeon. He had a Bx done of a spot on his retina and we were concerned but it turned out to be nothing to worry about.Another big WHEW..

So this is the other side of snowbirding - the hard work to get all packed up to go then unpacked when we arrive. And the many hours of driving.While, IMO, it is worthwhile., it is a lot of work.

Super Contributor

coming and going---WOW your very busy

Super Contributor
On 10/13/2014 happy housewife said:

So this is the other side of snowbirding - the hard work to get all packed up to go then unpacked when we arrive. And the many hours of driving.While, IMO, it is worthwhile., it is a lot of work.

This is the reason I would never do it. I would like to move south some day permanently.

Honored Contributor

I just went out to the garage to help DH put stuff up in the attic storage space then I put up my Halloween decor - a small flag with a pumpkin and sunflowers on it and a slate that has a fall scene with pumpkins on it and a slate that hangs below it that says Harvest.(they are connected) We are only allowed 2 items out for any holiday decor so this is all I can do.However, this is a duplex and my elderly neighbor does not decorate and lets me do something over there, so I put my purple mum and a pumpkin by her garage door, and hung another flag with a green witch. The potted plant does not count in your 2 items.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad you are home safe and sound. That was really sweet of your neighbor to welcome you back.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Frequent Contributor

Welcome back HH! Heard about the frost they had in PA as we have family there. Planning on going back up for a short visit next week- Everyone said to bring my long johns but I threw them out when I moved here to FL. Hopefully I can still catch some of the fall leaves before they are all gone!

Honored Contributor

As we came down through the WVa mountains the leaves were only about 1/3 out so next week you should see the full deal.

We are getting a bad thunderstorm here in Fl right now. It just suddenly went dark and the wind started and then kaboom! I was watching the news on TV - a couple storms out in the Atlantic but they seem like they will go off to the east of the US.

Honored Contributor

We're flying to our home sweet home on Saturday although the weather is still gorgeous here. Only going in to the low 60's tonight and up to the seventies the rest of the week.. Practically the same at home.

But it does get cold here! We don't have to pack to go back and forth. I leave winter clothes here and we do come back two or three times before spring. It's a halfway point to our sons so we can visit them during the winter.

Our daughters have kept an eye on our cottage and watered the potted geraniums and shrubs as needed. I won't have to move anything to the potting shed till January unless that polar vortex hits again.

Our beautiful Barbie Doll will greet us (hopefully!) at the airport (our German Shepherd) the cat will pretend to not know us as she's been getting spoiled by our granddaughters. We missed them all terribly, but got to see our other grandchildren quite a bit

We've not been gone all summer so I know there's plenty of food to get us started. I miss home, but I'll miss here, too!

My only carryon is a bag of organic lemons....so far.

Honored Contributor
How nice of Happy to help,out her neighbor with fall decorating! I am sure she appreciates it!
Super Contributor

What's a ""campsite""?