Esteemed Contributor

The S/5 Natural Candle Rings (Rosehill)

I just received this set from Grandin Road.Set of Five Natural Candle Rings

Rosehill, I remember you asking if these would fit over 4" diameter candles. No, they do not. I tried a 4" diameter older CI candle, and it simply won't fit inside any of them. I also tried an older 3-1/2" diameter CI candle, and it fits perfectly inside 4 of the rings, but the remaining ring is just a little too snug. I used a measuring tape on each candle to be sure of the dimensions. They are accurate.

So, at least for my set of the natural rings, 3-1/2" diameter maximum will work great for 4 of them, which is good news for Luminara fans since many of them are 3-1/2". I would only have to cut the base apart on one of them, like Marsha2003 suggested on the other thread.

I had already boxed them back up before thinking to place them on the square pedestals to see how much of the material touches the table, but I will do that for you if you would like.

I know I'm too picky when it comes to certain things, but, my gut reaction to these when I first opened the box was OH NO, the cedar-like sprigs (which are very abundant) remind me a little too much of the 1960s-70s very fake looking plastic greenery. My first impression is not all that great. I am still in the middle of a cleaning project, so I boxed them up for now, and will try to spruce them up hopefully soon. If I can arrange them to look more like the picture above, where the cedar sprigs are a little more hidden, I can live with them.

If anyone wants a closeup pic of them, or if anyone has any other questions, just ask and I'll help if I can.

HTH!

Valued Contributor

Re: The S/5 Natural Candle Rings (Rosehill)

Thank you so very much for the detailed review, SHOPR. I really appreciate it. The fact that they won't fit on a 4" candle, and your first impression about the 60s 70s fake plastic material is enough to convince me that I can live without these. Seems as though GR did a good job on designing the other draping rings, these, not so much. Thanks again, sweetie!

Respected Contributor

SHOPR, I'm happy that you received your order. Isn't it weird how the ring sizes aren't all the same? At least four of yours fit. I had only three that fit, but I had no problem using wire cutters to clip the others. You just have to be careful about where you cut depending on the arrangement of the greenery. I hope you won't be bothered by the plastic bits once you have everything grouped together as I think the overall effect will look great.

BTW, I'm seeing Mystique brand candles on Amazon and Zulily and they look just like Luminara. I watched the video and the movement and flame look identical to me. In fact, I bought some Luminara tapers from batteryoperatedcandles and the tapers on Zulily today with the Mystique name look exactly the same and are cheaper.

Super Contributor

Great review SHOPR, lots of detail. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Thanks SHOPR, I have been looking at those. I think I'll look elsewhere as I do use a lot of Luminara candles and also four inch ones.

I would think for the price these would be more consistent, size wise. They look beautiful on the website.

I found a lovely white ceramic pedestal at Goodwill yesterday. It was decorated with greenery (evergreen) in the same style as the one that Jill Bauer recently had with the sugared fruit. It also has a top that is about 3 3/4'' so my luminaras' will fit it. I'm thinking of using my sugared fruit to make mine since I missed out on Jills. I also found a MG pedestal at TJMaxx that is 15" tall and has a 4 1/2" top candle base. Not really cheap though, $14.95. Next size was $12.95.

Esteemed Contributor

Marsha, I am not familiar with Mystique candles and didn't go to Zulily today. I will try to check them out tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Cheaper sounds good!

lucymo, The white ceramic pedestal sounds like a very good bargain find. If you add the sugared fruit, you should share a pic of the finished product, that is, if you dare...LOL

Honored Contributor

On 10/10/2014 SHOPR said:

Marsha, I am not familiar with Mystique candles and didn't go to Zulily today. I will try to check them out tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Cheaper sounds good!

lucymo, The white ceramic pedestal sounds like a very good bargain find. If you add the sugared fruit, you should share a pic of the finished product, that is, if you dare...LOL

SHOPR, if I do the sugared fruit, I will post a Picture. I just can't mention Lisa. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I'm thinking that's over now that she's leaving and wondering who the next target will be. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning, lucymo. Yes, there must always be a target or targets. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Esteemed Contributor

Marsha2003, I just looked at Zulily and Amazon for the Mystique candles. Did you notice how the battery type and battery life is all over the place on Zulily? I'm not sure I trust their descriptions.

For example, one pillar states 2AAs with 120 hours, while another states 2Ds with 720 hrs, and yet another pillar states button cell with 72 hours! I didn't see where Amazon mentioned the battery life at all, although I only looked at a few.

They do look nice, and from looking at just the two imbedded videos, the flame movement looks good, too. I don't think AAs or button cells (???) would last long at all in this style of candle.

Respected Contributor

On 10/11/2014 SHOPR said:

Marsha2003, I just looked at Zulily and Amazon for the Mystique candles. Did you notice how the battery type and battery life is all over the place on Zulily? I'm not sure I trust their descriptions.

For example, one pillar states 2AAs with 120 hours, while another states 2Ds with 720 hrs, and yet another pillar states button cell with 72 hours! I didn't see where Amazon mentioned the battery life at all, although I only looked at a few.

They do look nice, and from looking at just the two imbedded videos, the flame movement looks good, too. I don't think AAs or button cells (???) would last long at all in this style of candle.

I was only looking at the taper candles which take AA, I think. The ones I ordered have been shipped so I'll let you know how the battery life is once I try them out, but I don't expect them to last much longer than a month. If they only last a week, I'll be returning them.