Honored Contributor

Is my DH the only one who does this?

He waits until I have tidied up the entire house. Floors all clean and everything all dusted and tidy. Then he chooses to do some project and makes it all into a total mess. This morning - as soon as I finished cleaning up - he started with pulling out the fridge to vacuum the back of it - then proceeds to clean the roof vents (screened windows in the ceilings in campers with fans in them) and cleaning out all the furnace vents. I do appreciate that he is doing these things but he could clean up the mess he is leaving behind on the floors I just finished scrubbing and all the surfaces I just finished dusting or he could have at least told me he was going to do this so I would have waited and cleaned up after he was done. But no - he just allows me to get all done. I wanted to add that this is not a one time event - he does this to me all the time. As soon as I clean the bathroom he will go in there and drill holes over the clean sink to hang up a new lighted shaving mirror and leaves the sawdust all over the sink. Oh well, rant over - thanks for the opportunity to get this off my chest.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is my DH the only one who does this?

No idea why he's behaving this way. In the future, ask him before you start whether he's planning any projects.

Super Contributor

Just stop cleaning, put on a beauty mask, and some nice music,and when he see's your not as excited as you are about being clean and tidy It will open the door to tell or ask him why he is overriding your cleaning.

Always take a nice break and make him think, or better yet he seems so perfect as a helpmate maybe he can do it all......HECK TURN ON THE Q AND SHOP ! That will make him think.

Honored Contributor

Along this same line, I can spend hours doing laundry, and it never fails that as soon as I get that last load in the dryer, here he comes fresh from the shower carrying an armfull of dirty clothes and wet towels.
Super Contributor

Timing is everything. Before you start cleaning, ask him if he's considering any projects first. Men simply do NOT get it. You have every right to rant. Hey, I like that. "RIGHT TO RANT"{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/2/2014 ValuSkr said:

No idea why he's behaving this way. In the future, ask him before you start whether he's planning any projects.

This is probably the best idea. My dh never picks up after himself, either. We've been married 21 years and I feel as though I'm raising my fourth child. I feel like we women are between a rock and a hard place. If we ask for something more than once, we're nagging. If we don't say anything, we're doing their chores and picking up after them. Sheesh.....

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Ask him to please clean up after himself. Leave the mess for him to clean.

I think he does it because you always go back and clean up after him, as if he were a child.

I would only clean up after his project if he were doing something that I requested.

Super Contributor

I don't know about most husbands, but mine really doesn't take to me telling him to clean up after himself! Instant argument.

Super Contributor

My husband is always kind and considerate.

Honored Contributor

If that's his typical way of doing things, you should ask him if he has any projects planned when you know you are going to be doing major cleaning.

When my husband does a messy project, he cleans up after himself or we do it together.