Honored Contributor

Halloween Decorating - When do you start?

I usually don't put Halloween out until the middle of October, because I like my fall decorations so much! DS' birthday is around Halloween, and we always had a big party for his friends, so that fit with my plan. Now he's coming home for Fall Break, and I'm trying to decide what to do. He won't be "home" much! {#emotions_dlg.lol} He's already told us what he and his friends are going to do. Some go to colleges not too far away, and some will be home on their own fall break. I told him we could have the kids over, but he doesn't want a party. He said they might come by to "hang out" later in the night. They want to go to haunted hayrides and such. He'll only be here three days.

So again, usually I wouldn't put out Halloween until later. The week after he returns, I've having a "girls' night" here, and I'd like my home to look pretty for that. That would be the weekend I usually decorate. But my fall decorations would be more suitable for that.

Mixing them is not an option. I have a lot of both! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

What would you do? And when do you usually deck out your home for Halloween? TIA!! Smile

Super Contributor

Re: Halloween Decorating - When do you start?

I just decorated this weekend..I put up Halloween and Fall together...after Halloween, I just add the remainder of my Fall decorations and of course some Thanksgiving specific touches. I have alot of Mums and pumpkins in the mix which transition well from Fall to Halloween. I have always done Halloween decorating at the end of Sept/beginning of October. I would just put them up soon if I were youSmiley Happy)))
Honored Contributor

For me, Halloween decor is not attractive, and I don't do it, just fall. But if you love your Halloween decor, you should continue to do it, but know that you are probably doing it just for yourself now (kiddo is at an age where he probably doesn't care. Not that he won't have fond memories of it later in life).

If you think fall decor only on girls night would be more appropriate, maybe try a year with no Halloween decor and see if you can live without the extra work and effort. Whatever you decide to do have fun with it, because that is what decorating should be.

Honored Contributor

I've never decorated for Halloween. When I used to decorate more, I would prefer an autumn theme from early October thru Thanksgiving - corn shocks, straw bales, mums, pumpkins, assorted gourds spilling out of a tipped bushel basket. My front porch used to look so pretty when I'd do it. I've lost the decorating oomph and don't even care about getting a Christmas tree up anymore. Sad, but true.

Respected Contributor

I put what little Halloween decor I have out the week of Halloween and take it down the morning after. I don't know what I would do in your situation, Beach-mom.

Valued Contributor

I put mine up the beginning of October. This coming weekend for sure. The kids get a kick out of them and so do I.
Trusted Contributor

I'm a Halloween nut. Usually I decorate on Sept. 1st so I can enjoy everything for a full two months. This year I was two weeks late.

Super Contributor

I put my fall decor out the first day of fall....inside and outside. Maybe next weekend, since it will be October, I will add in a bit of Halloween, but not much. That comes down the day after and it is once again just fall until the day after Thanksgiving.

I kind of get the idea you will only be doing fall this year since it seems to work the best for what is going on at your home. Would you be ok with that for one year?

Honored Contributor

On 9/30/2014 babyb said:

I put my fall decor out the first day of fall....inside and outside. Maybe next weekend, since it will be October, I will add in a bit of Halloween, but not much. That comes down the day after and it is once again just fall until the day after Thanksgiving.

I kind of get the idea you will only be doing fall this year since it seems to work the best for what is going on at your home. Would you be ok with that for one year?

Hi babyb! We HAVE to do Halloween - our friends expect it, and on Trick or Treat night, the kids come in our foyer to see some of the decorations and hear spooky sounds! I only do "cute" Halloween, but since we're cat lovers, black cats are all over the place. Two of our large front windows are covered with a gold mural and black cats shadowed. We have some Department 56 Halloween that makes spooky sounds, and that's fun. I keep saying I'm going to post some pics; I just have to figure out how to do it!

I still haven't decided what to do. Like you, usually Halloween comes down the first of November, and fall goes back out, with some turkeys and pilgrims added in. Smile

Honored Contributor

We'll start lighting our outside decorations on October 4th. Nothing fancy, just some orange mini lights from Target that we put on our shrubs. I'll put out the inside decorations on Saturday too.