Honored Contributor

Anyone Having Trouble Getting Enough Light From These New Bulbs?

I have high hat, otherwise known as, recessed, lighting in my kitchen. I used to use five 75 W indoor, incandescent flood lights. This provided plenty of light. Now, with the new lighting regulations, I wind up using the new type bulbs or some 60 W plain incandescent bulbs. My kitchen is dark, and I have to turn on every other light in the area and I still can't compensate for the difference in light. Does anyone know of a solution? This new regulation is not saving energy, since the lighting output is not the same as it was, and I am using more electricity and still not getting enough light.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Having Trouble Getting Enough Light From These New Bulbs?

No, because I go up in wattage rating. If I need 75w I now use the 100w rated because they don't heat up like the old ones. I give them time to light up when first turned on. They will brighten considerably.
Valued Contributor

We recently bought new LED bulbs, and they're much bright. They don't have that ugly yellow cast either.
Respected Contributor

On 9/28/2014 shamalamadingdong4 said: We recently bought new LED bulbs, and they're much bright. They don't have that ugly yellow cast either.
Completely agree! I bought LED,ugh TS and they are bright and no yellow glow. Slowly switching over to LED. They are pricey, but worth every penny!
Respected Contributor

I usually never use the word hate but I hate and despise the new bulbs. I can't begin to tell you how much money has been spent buying these so called efficient bulbs. We finally got the brightest ones we could find. When I am in my kitchen I want light not this so called yellow color these put off. I have spot lights all around my kitchen cabinets and before I would put spot light or flood lights in them and the whole kitchen would be lite up. Not any more I think I could get more light out of a flash light. Took those out of the fixtures and actually threw them out. I have 5 lights in my ceiling fan light and I have the brightest bulbs in it. I think they are called outside light. Then they bragged and promised how much longer these twist bulbs were going to last another lie. Mine are getting changed more now then ever before. For those who like these new bulbs great but for me I think they are absolute garbage and I hate them. Lowes and Home depot have gotten a lot of our money for these bulbs and finally my daughter said you might as well just get the cheaper ones at Wal Mart so that is what we are doing now. Which one is responsible for these pieces of junk O or B that is the big discussion in our home which President okayed these. Thank you for letting me rant about these light bulbs I feel better already.

Regular Contributor

We bought LED conversion kits for our kitchen recessed lights, they are very bright and not as hot as the halogen spotlights we had before. We got them at Costco for a great price and they are easy to install and will last a long, long time.

Honored Contributor

I have LED kitchen cans now, and it is better lighting than the incandescent which I formerly had, and supposedly lasts twenty years or so, but when it has to be replaced, the entire can has to be.

Valued Contributor

On 9/28/2014 shamalamadingdong4 said: We recently bought new LED bulbs, and they're much bright. They don't have that ugly yellow cast either.

We did the same and they are great. The kitchen doesn't heat up the way it used to when all 5 lights are on (middle one is independent but often on at the same time). No yellow cast and great lighting.

A little more costly but worth every cent.

Maria

Honored Contributor

I've got a big enough stockpile of incandescent bulbs and flood light bulbs for the recessed lighting in our kitchen that I shouldn't have to bother with any of the new bulbs for probably 5 years.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

I heard someone say that you have to compare the lumen rating on the package now rather than the wattage so that you're getting the same brightness.