Occasional Contributor

Malden Polarfleece sheets vs Northern Nights Flannel sheets

Can anyone compare the Malden Polarfleece sheets to Northern Nights Flannel sheets. I have a few sets of NN flannels that are at least 4 years old & needing replacement. I am considering the MM Polarfleece instead of NN flannel. Can anyone who has had both compare the 2 types? Love the softness of flannel in the cold Winter months -hate cold sheets in the WInter. I am afraid that the polarfleece will be hot & heavy. Do they feel heavier than NN flannel? I sleep hot! I like flannels / a cotton blanket in Winter and hubby loves the flannel & 2 blankets. How well do fleece shots wash up for softness? Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Malden Polarfleece sheets vs Northern Nights Flannel sheets

I have had a set of Malden polarfleece sheets for about 3 or 4 years. They are not at all heavyweight but do keep you very warm. I put them on my bed in October with just a light blanket and my bedspread. That's all I need to keep me warm in my very old, drafty house even on the cold winter nights. If it is especially cold outside I'll sometimes throw a crocheted throw on top of the bedspread. They were soft to start with and wash up so nicely. They stay very soft. I was amazed at how warm the sheets are compared to the light weight.

I have never had the NN flannel sheets so I can't compare the two but I did want to give you my opinion of the MM polarfleece.

Honored Contributor

I've had NN Flannel (which I love) and one set of the MM Polar Fleece. The Polar Fleece is a totally "different animal" than the flannel.

You'll get tons of replies probably that are very positive and I know my post will be in the minority, but my husband and I just didn't care for the Polar Fleece. They felt heavy to us. When folded (we have a King bed), they took up a ton of room in our linen closet. We used them faithfully when we got them, to give them a good try, but when last winter came we looked at them and said "Nah" and off to Goodwill they went.

Part of the problem was my mistake. I bought too dark a color, Raspberry, and we didn't like that at all. But while they felt pretty good, they're very stretchy and heavy and again, took up too much room in our linen closet.

I bought a set of NN Flannel last year that we absolutely loved. Unfortunately, QVC discontinued them.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

Not to go OT, but does anyone know if/when the Malden Mills sheets will be a TSV? I'd like to try them this year, but want the best value. TIA!

Honored Contributor

I love the set of MM Polar Fleece I have so much I bought an extra set to have on hand. They are very soft and cozy. I do not consider them to be hot and heavy....maybe a bit bulky as mentioned but mine are Queen. They wash very well and maintain softness. I bought the neutral off-white color. I am looking forward to putting them on the bed soon. Only problem....they are so cozy it is harder to get out of bed in the morning. Worth trying!
Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Not to go OT, but does anyone know if/when the Malden Mills sheets will be a TSV? I'd like to try them this year, but want the best value. TIA!

I don't remember the date, but there's one in October.
Esteemed Contributor

It's all in what you like. I can not sleep with anything other than 100% cotton. The Polar Fleece makes me way too hot and sweaty.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I've used both NN flannel (which I used to swear by) and the MM polar fleece. LOVE my polar fleece. It's very much softer than flannel and yes, they are stretchy, so they fit well over my mattress with a topper on top and they don't pop off ever.

You have to be careful when selecting your MM sheets though. I've had issues a couple of times that the size was off big time and the fitted sheet wouldn't go on at all, not even without the topper, too short. I started looking at the different sets and there was a significant sizing difference in the queen fitted - really had me puzzled.

I sleep "hot" and was afraid I would be too hot in the polarfleece, but found as someone else posted, using the polar fleece meant I could reduce the blankets, and in the transition months, the polar fleece top sheet with a light weight cotton blanket is cuddly soft and just warm enough.

Super Contributor

On 9/28/2014 graycatsrule said:
On 9/28/2014 Colonel Meow said:

I don't remember the date, but there's one in October.

Thank you!!!

Honored Contributor

I have both and much prefer the feel of the fleece. It's so soft, I feel like I'm enveloped in a cotton ball. They are not overly warm, just cozy and soft. That said, I don't care for the Malden Mill brand. The depth of the pockets on the fitted sheet are very skimpy and they don't even go under the mattress. I don't have a new extra high mattress. Mine is old with a 3" topper on it so it's not a great depth. Also my MM sheets came with a pencil-size hole which I didn't discover until too late to return. I'd buy another brand.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment